PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Puckett Dead at 44

Appels
03-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Kirby Puckett dead at 44

Puckett had a career average of .318 and carried the Twins to championships in 1987 and 1991.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Kirby Puckett died Monday, a day after the Hall of Fame outfielder had a stroke at his Arizona home, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 44.

Puckett died at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Scottsdale, Ariz., Kimberly Lodge said. He had been in intensive care since having surgery at another hospital following his stroke Sunday morning.

Puckett carried the Twins to World Series titles in 1987 and 1991 before his career was cut short by glaucoma. His family, friends and former teammates gathered at the hospital throughout Monday.

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I am terribly saddened by the sudden passing of Kirby Puckett," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "He was a Hall of Famer in every sense of the term.

"He played his entire career with the Twins and was an icon in Minnesota. But he was revered throughout the country and will be remembered wherever the game is played. Kirby was taken from us much too soon -- and too quickly," he said.

Puckett remained close with several people in the Twins organization, and he was one of baseball's most popular players throughout his 12-year career.

"I don't know where I would have ended up if it weren't for Kirby Puckett," Kelly said. "He was not just a great ballplayer. He was a great friend. Everybody is taking it hard."

Oakland third base coach Ron Washington, a former teammate, spent Sunday at the hospital with Puckett, his fiancee, his agent and others. Washington said he saw Puckett, who has two children, go into the operating room. Puckett was engaged to be married this summer.

After his career ended, Puckett put on a considerable amount of weight -- which concerned those close to him.

"We would tell him. But he enjoyed life. He enjoyed the size he was. That's who he was," former Twins and current Cubs outfielder Jacque Jones said Sunday at the team's spring training site in Mesa, Ariz.

Puckett, who broke in with Minnesota in 1984, had a career average of .318 and carried the Twins to championships in 1987 and 1991. Glaucoma forced the six-time Gold Glove centre fielder and 10-time all-star to retire when he went blind in his right eye.

W-OLF
03-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Thats sad news for his fans , friends , and family Rest In Peace Kirby .

yankeesman77
03-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Kirby hit one of the most amazing Homeruns in World Series history and it's sad to believe that hes gone so soon. Kirby was a guy that you would love to be around. He wasnt like the Griffy, he wasnt like the Bash Brothers but he was a hell of a hitter and really put the twins on the map in the 80's /90's. Kirby was even compared to Donny Baseball great hitter, great person, and a great embassadore to the game of Baseball. Kirby you will be missed, R.I.P.

OMEN
03-07-2006, 01:21 PM
It's a real shame that a player like Kirby Puckett whos career was already cut short due to illness,Should pass away at the young age of 45.
My condolances to all of his friends and family at this most difficult time for them..