PDA

View Full Version : Us too, later in year

OMEN
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5123305,00.jpg
U2 ... planning a return to Australia and New Zealand
ROCK phenomenon U2 will likely complete the Australian leg of their tour in November, lead singer Bono announced last night.
Bono told Andrew Denton's Enough Rope on ABC TV the band might know their exact schedule within days.

U2 postponed its Vertigo tour last week after one of the band's family members fell ill.

"The member of the band whose life has been turned upside down with his recent news, he will be on fire as opposed to having a cloud over him so they'll be amazing shows," Bono said.

"There was a lot of distress and angst and (the) good news is ... I can announce tonight we are coming back, looks like November and that's a great relief for me."

Bono, who arrived in Australia last week with his wife Ali Hewson and their sons Elijah, 6, and John, 4, admitted he was happy the gigs had been rescheduled.
"I didn't want to leave Australia without having that hammered down," he said.

"But (we are) just about that much away from being able to give you the dates so maybe even tomorrow I'll be able to do that."

While Bono remained tight-lipped on which band member caused the postponement, he revealed that after 25 years together they were all there for each other.

"Our music does come out of (a) very tight community and so if one of us is going through it we're all going through it," he said.

"He will be at the other side of it .... and god willing it will be a very positive outcome.

"We've all been through different ups and downs, and you've got to give yourself freedom within a band ... to get out of each other's way as well as to get in somebody's face at the right time. Sometimes you have to know when not to. This is one of those moments."

The political activist also admitted he would seek a meeting with Prime Minister John Howard when he returns to Australia.

"I'd like to when I get back (talk with Howard)," he told Denton.

As Bono and his family leave Sydney today, U2 fans are demonstrating enormous support for the band at the cash register.

The band's spirits will be buoyed by fans buying thousands of copies of their current album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and their two greatest hits compilations, reports Music Writer Kathy McCabe.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb sprinted to No.10 from No.27 while the Best of U2 1980-1990 and Best of U2 1990-2000 re-entered the ARIA album chart at No.24 and No.25 respectively.

Even before Bono's announcement, his partner in African activism "Sir" Bob Geldof - who tours here next month - hinted of a U2 return Down Under.

"They'll be back, they will do it. They are working boys," he said.

In other chart news, Sydney band Youth Group narrowly missed out on debuting at No.1 with their new single Forever Young, which was commissioned for teen drama The O.C.

Australian dance duo TV Rock kept the top spot with their single Flaunt It and Madonna had to settle for a No.4 debut for her new single Sorry.

Local pop artist Kate Alexa also celebrated the No.14 debut of her latest single All I Hear.

Johnny Cash maintained his historic presence on the album charts with the Walk The Line soundtrack nudging into No.2 behind Westlife's Face To Face.

Cash has four other albums in the top 50.

Sydney Confidential