PDA

View Full Version : Saints reach deal with Brees

OMEN
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/03/14/bc.fbn.saints.brees.ap/p1_brees2.jpg
Drew Breees has thrown for more than 3,000 yards in three of the past four seasons.
NEW ORLEANS -- NEW ORLEANS -- Free-agent quarterback Drew Brees agreed to six-year contract Tuesday with the New Orleans Saints.

A team spokesman confirmed the agreement to The Associated Press shortly after the Miami Dolphins, who also had been courting Brees, instead traded for Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

The former Purdue quarterback will take over for Aaron Brooks, who is expected to be released by New Orleans after his worst season since taking over as the Saints starter in 2000.

Brees has spent his entire five-year career with the San Diego Chargers, throwing for more than 3,000 yards in three of the past four seasons. He led the Chargers to a playoff appearance in 2004.

The signing could have major draft implications. The Saints have the No. 2 pick, which could be used for Southern Cal's Matt Leinart, who is expected to be available at that position. But New Orleans may not want another quarterback after signing Brees, and could opt to trade the pick or use it on another top prospect at a different position.

Saints officials did not immediately discuss details of Brees' new contract or how it may affect their draft plans.

Associated Press

Appels
03-14-2006, 11:53 PM
A Few Words:

San Diego Management needs to get the stick out of their ass. As a Chargers Fan, I have been so disapointed with the management of this team. Releasing Drew Brees was HUGE mistake as he is a proven QB now. It just pisses me off so damn much.

Finch420
03-15-2006, 12:23 AM
As a Rams fan this doesn't bother me, but as a fan of Drew Brees I really question why he'd ever want to go to New Orleans. Expessially with the disastorus team around him....