PDA

View Full Version : Carter named captain and flagbearer

OMEN
03-15-2006, 12:33 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/common/imageViewer/0,1445,227428,00.jpg
HONOURED: Triathlete Hamish Carter said being named the NZ flag bearer, to lead the Commonwealth Games team, was the highlight of his career.
Hamish Carter was last night named as the flagbearer and captain of the New Zealand Commonwealth Games team.

At a function held at the Moonee Valley racecourse, chef de mission Dave Currie announced Carter to his fellow team-mates as their leader for the 11 days of competition.

Olympic gold medallist Carter, who will race in the triathlon on Saturday, had to make a late change in his travel plans in order to be in Melbourne for the opening ceremony tonight.

In a quirky way, Carter continues the recent trend associated with the flagbearer. The previous three flagbearers at the Commonwealth Games were cyclists Sarah Ulmer, Graeme Miller and Brian Fowler. While Carter is not a cyclist per se, that discipline makes up a large chunk of his sport.

Carter has been a warm favourite for some time to receive the honour, and even a stand-off with the Olympic Committee over his contract couldn't change his destiny.

"I'm more nervous now than when I race on Saturday," Carter said when called to the stage in front of his team.

"This is a huge honour for me, the highlight of my career. But the reality is we're all here to do a job and to surpass what we felt was possible to achieve. My message to you is no matter how hard it gets, no matter how good the competition is, never give up. The Kiwi attitude is so strong and everyone in this room has it.

"To race for your country is the greatest honour, no matter how hard it is, never give up, fight to the death."

Currie praised Carter's qualities when naming him.

"He has shown leadership, courage, and inspired us, motivated us, shown passion and commitment to represent New Zealand and helped us walk tall on the world stage. He has dignity and humility and is someone I've come to admire greatly."

An unannounced and unexpected guest at the team dinner was opera diva Dame Kiri Te Kanawa who spoke briefly to the team.

"I'm proud to be here, proud to be invited to be with you," Te Kanawa said. "It's now your duty to do the best you can for the people in New Zealand who have done so much to get you here, your parents, your supporters, all those people who can't be here to cheer you on."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/images/masthead/press_sm.gif

LionDen
03-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I think it is a great honor to carry the flag for your country, especially in such an International event. Congrats to him.