PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes End Long Losing Streak in L.A.

W-OLF
03-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Coyotes End Long Losing Streak in L.A.

Published: 3/15/06, 6:46 AM EDT
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Dave Scatchard proved beyond a doubt what a hard-nosed hockey player he is. Scatchard broke his nose about 4 1/2 minutes into the second period when he was high-sticked by Los Angeles Kings forward Derek Armstrong. Mike Ricci scored during the ensuing four-minute power play and Scatchard returned to score a power-play goal in the third period, helping the Phoenix Coyotes rout the Los Angeles Kings 6-2 on Tuesday night.

"We're hockey players, so you've got to expect things like that to happen. And when they do, you just go back to work," Scatchard said.

"It took a lot longer to get back because they had to straighten it and stop the bleeding. Otherwise I would have been back a little bit quicker. I was having trouble seeing because my eyes kept watering. But my legs weren't hurting, so I thought I could still play. As long as I can see where I'm going out there, I'll be on the ice."

Geoff Sanderson had a goal and two assists for the Coyotes, who snapped a 13-game road winless streak against the Kings. They were 0-9 with four ties at Staples Center dating back to a 6-5 victory on Oct. 15, 2000.

"We were told about it today by the coaching staff," Ricci said. "We're going to be battling these guys for years to come, and we've got to find a way to win here."

Shane Doan, Oleg Saprykin and Boyd Devereaux scored in a 1:49 span in the first period for the Coyotes, who ended a three-game losing streak. Fredrik Sjostrom and Paul Mara each had two assists and Curtis Joseph made 27 saves for his 421st win, putting put him within two of Tony Esposito for sixth place on the career list.

Jeff Cowan and Luc Robitaille scored for the Kings, who got Pavol Demitra back for the first time since he was struck in the face by a puck during the Olympics. But fellow Olympian Alexander Frolov remained sidelined by a separated shoulder that also occurred during the Turin Games.

Kings center Craig Conroy did not play because of residual bleeding behind his left eye after a puck hit him in the face during Monday's 4-3 loss at San Jose.

One night after losing 5-2 at Anaheim and giving up a season-worst 45 shots on net in goalie Philippe Sauve's Coyotes debut, Phoenix spotted Los Angeles a 1-0 lead before scoring three goals on five shots against Mathieu Garon.

Doan ignited the rally with his 23rd goal, converting a centering pass from behind the net by former Kings center Steve Reinprecht.

"Steve Reinprecht moves the puck so well," Doan said. "He had the puck on a string a couple of times tonight, and I had the benefit of a great pass. I just wanted to make sure I got it up over the goalie.

"It was big. When they get the lead they play a lot better, but we were able to get the goal back. And once our power play got going, we were pretty solid. We knew that we hadn't won here in a while, but I didn't realize it was that long."

Saprykin added his 11th goal just 62 seconds later, getting a short pass in front of the net from Sanderson on a 2-on-none rush.

"We came out and seemed to play well the first five minutes, but then we started making bad mental errors," Robitaille said. "We got caught making some stupid, stupid mistakes. And it cost us dearly, because this was a game we had to win."

Devereaux made it 3-1, going in alone on Garon with a pass from Mike Comrie and slipping the puck between Garon's pads. It was Devereaux's eighth goal this season and first in 26 career games against Los Angeles.

Ricci scored less than two minutes into Armstrong's double-minor penalty, redirecting Dennis Seidenberg's 40-foot wrist shot over Garon's right shoulder for his ninth goal and a 4-1 lead.

Sanderson converted a rebound 67 seconds into the third period for his 22nd goal and ninth in 11 games. Scatchard - broken nose and all - made it 6-1 with his 15th goal while Sean Avery was serving a holding-the-stick penalty.

"Scatchard battles every night," Phoenix coach Wayne Gretzky said. "He broke his nose and bounced back. He won some faceoffs and did a nice job killing penalties. It was nice to see him get a goal on the power play."

Notes:@ The six goals were the most the Coyotes have scored in a road game this season, and equaled the most allowed by the Kings in a home game. ... Doan played his 714th game with the club, moving into third place on the franchise list behind Teppo Numminen (1,098) and Thomas Steen (950). ... Joseph is 4-0 against the Kings this season. ... The Kings' Eric Belanger was scratched because of a hyperextended left elbow.
credit BellSOuth

Straight Edge
03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
The L.A. Kings are going strong this season, which is very good. Been a fan of them since Wayne Gretzky was there during the 90's, before his move to the New York Rangers. Shame about the game thoigh