PDA

View Full Version : Steelers re-sign Keisel

OMEN
03-15-2006, 10:18 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers re-signed backup defensive end Brett Keisel to replace starter Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Keisel signed a four-year, $13.1 million deal that included a $3.29 million signing bonus and will replace von Oelhoffen, who signed a three-year, $9.2 million deal with the New York Jets on Tuesday.
Keisel, 27, has never started in four seasons with the Steelers, but he saw increased playing time the past two seasons. He missed all of 2003 following shoulder surgery.

"He's looking forward to showing the Steelers they made the right decision," agent Eric Metz said.

This past season, Keisel had three sacks and a forced fumble, before adding two more sacks and another forced fumble in the AFC Championship win against the Broncos.

Keisel is about eight years younger than the 35-year-old von Oelhoffen.

"I'm sad my boy Kimo is not going to be here. He's one of my mentors. I owe a lot of my growth," Keisel said. "I'm excited about the opportunity, to show what I can do and to stay in Pittsburgh."

A 12-year veteran, von Oelhoffen spent the last six seasons with the Steelers. He started every game but one during his career there and finished 2005 with 31/2 sacks and 22 tackles.

His agent, Mark Bartelstein, said von Oelhoffen was impressed with new Jets coach Eric Mangini and his plans for the defense.

The Jets are going to use more of a 3-4 front, a good fit for the 35-year-old von Oelhoffen because that also is Steelers' main formation.

"Leaving Pittsburgh was very hard, but he felt it was a great opportunity," Bartelstein said. "He's the kind of guy they want to build the program around."

Associated Press.

Whats the betting that even though the Steeelers have allowed most of their free agents to sign for other clubs that they will still be as competetive next year