PDA

View Full Version : Raymond's screen dad, Peter Boyle, dies

Kellie
12-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Raymond's screen dad, Peter Boyle, dies

Emmy-winning actor Peter Boyle who played grouchy father Frank Barone in the TV series Everybody Loves Raymond, has died, his publicist says.

The 71-year-old former Christian Brothers monk died on Tuesday after a long battle with multiple myeloma and heart disease, his publicists said.

Boyle, who often played cantankerous characters, shot to fame as a foul-mouthed, working-class bigot in the 1970 film Joe.

He also played one of Robert DeNiro's fellow taxi drivers in Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver in 1976, the cruel, racist father to Billy Bob Thornton in 2001's Monster's Ball, and took a comic turn as the Frankenstein monster in the 1974 Mel Brooks spoof Young Frankenstein.

In recent years he played numerous roles on television, including the father to Ray Romano's character.

He acted in 201 episodes of the situation comedy from 1996 to 2005 and received numerous Emmy nominations.

He won an Emmy for outstanding guest actor appearance on The X-Files in 1996.

Beatle John Lennon was the best man at Boyle's 1977 wedding to journalist Loraine Alterman, then a Rolling Stone reporter.

He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Amy and Lucy Boyle.

Despite playing some unsavoury characters, he refused roles that glamorised violence, including the lead role of Popeye Doyle that went to Gene Hackman in 1971's The French Connection, according to the IMDb entertainment website.

Boyle suffered a stroke in 1990 and recovered, then had a heart attack on the set of Everybody Loves Raymond in March 1999. He returned to the show soon after heart surgery.

İAAP 2006

RIP .. he always made me laugh

OMEN
12-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Sad to hear of Peter Boyle's deat as although the show is called 'Evereybody Loves Raymond' IMO Peter Boyle was one of the real stars of the show in his role as Frank...
I remember him from the Mel Brooks Movie Young Frankenstein,But it wasn't till i read his profile that i realised he was best man at John and Yoko's wedding..

RIP Peter Boyle..

Siddhant
12-15-2006, 11:28 AM
all I can say to this is DAMN...I didnt see that coming.

Kaz
12-15-2006, 05:25 PM
DAmn thats a bit of shock!!

RIP Peter