PDA

View Full Version : Eagles sign QB Garcia, WR Gaffney

OMEN
03-16-2006, 11:25 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/03/16/bc.fbn.eagles.garcia.ap/p1_garcia.jpg
Jeff Garcia was a three-time Pro Bowl selection during his five seasons in San Francisco.
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb can trade thoughts on Terrell Owens in the Philadelphia Eagles' locker room.

The Eagles signed Garcia on Thursday, giving McNabb a capable and experienced backup. Both quarterbacks were frequent targets of criticism for wide receiver Terrell Owens, who was released by the Eagles on Tuesday.

The Eagles also signed wide receiver Jabar Gaffney. Both he and Garcia got one-year deals.

"Had I signed a day or two ago, we could've been teammates," Garcia said about Owens. "He's moved on and I've stepped into a place where he played.

"I don't have a problem with the guy. He's a tremendous player on the field. I've witnessed that. He's a difference-maker. If I were to have an opportunity to be a teammate of his again, I wouldn't back down from the situation."

A three-time Pro Bowl selection during his five seasons in San Francisco, Garcia played for Cleveland in 2004 before going to Detroit last year. He threw for 937 yards, three touchdowns and six interceptions in six games with the Lions.

Garcia, 36, is joining his fourth team in four years. His familiarity with the West Coast offense makes him an ideal fit for the Eagles, who needed an upgrade over Mike McMahon and Koy Detmer.

"He's a very smart player and is very familiar with our offensive system," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "He'll be a great back-up to Donovan."

McMahon struggled in seven starts after McNabb had season-ending surgery for a sports hernia last year. He got the starting nod over Detmer, who was McNabb's backup for six seasons. Both McMahon and Detmer remain on the roster for now.

Gaffney, 25, caught 55 passes for 492 yards and two TDs last season for the Houston Texans. He had his best season in 2004, catching 41 passes for 632 yards and two scores. In his career, Gaffney has 171 catches for 2,009 yards and seven TDs.

"Jabar has good hands and is a precise route runner," Reid said. "He has the ability to line up in the slot. We're excited to add him to the mix at the wide receiver position."

Gaffney joins Reggie Brown, who had a solid rookie year, and veteran Todd Pinkston, coming off a leg injury that sidelined him all of last season, to form Philadelphia's top three wideouts.

Garcia had his best season in 2000 when Marty Mornhinweg was San Francisco's offensive coordinator. Mornhinweg now has that role with the Eagles. Garcia completed 63.3 percent of his passes (355 for 561) for 4,278 yards, 31 TDs and only 10 interceptions in 2000. He averaged 3,720 yards and 28 TDs between 2000-02.

In seven seasons in the NFL, Garcia has completed 60.9 percent of his passes (1,695 for 2,785) for 19,076 yards, 126 TDs, 71 interceptions and has a passer rating of 85.8. An outstanding scrambler, Garcia also has run for 1,791 yards and 24 TDs.

Garcia said the desire to be a starter "still burns inside of me." But he's comfortable with playing behind McNabb.

"In no way am I here to step on anyone's toes and create a negative environment," Garcia said.

McMahon completed 45.4 percent of his passes, had eight interceptions, five TDs and a passer rating of 55.2 in his first season in Philadelphia. Three of his picks were returned for scores and the Eagles were 2-5 in games he started.

McNabb played a key role in bringing Owens to Philadelphia in 2004 and the two led the Eagles to the Super Bowl that season. However, their relationship deteriorated once Owens started criticizing McNabb after the Eagles lost to New England in the Super Bowl.

Owens and Garcia frequently battled in San Francisco. The brash-talking Owens continued taking shots at Garcia after joining the Eagles and even questioned his sexuality.

In an interview with Playboy magazine in 2004, Owens was asked if he thought Garcia is gay. Owens responded: "Like my boy tells me: If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat."

At the time, Garcia called the comments "ridiculous and untrue."

McNabb is coming off the worst season in his seven-year career. He clearly wasn't the same quarterback who led the Eagles to the NFC championship game four consecutive years and went to five straight Pro Bowls. He passed for 2,507 yards, 16 TDs and had a passer rating of 85.0. He threw a costly interception in the fourth quarter in each of his last three games, and had nine picks.

"He's a great leader, an outstanding player and the ultimate pro," Garcia said. "He knows with this situation, we're trying to strengthen the position."

Garcia began his career in the Canadian Football League and played five seasons with the Calgary Stampeders before joining the 49ers.

Gaffney is a cousin of Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard. The two played together in college at Florida and were drafted seven picks apart in 2002. Sheppard went 26th overall and Gaffney was taken by the Texans with the first pick in the second round, 33rd overall.

Associated Press.

Appels
03-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Garcia is a has-been. This is a good pick-up for a backup but he is no longer a good QB, to me, he is definately overrated.

Straight Edge
03-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Jabar Gaffney looks like a good signing for Philly, and as for Garcia, well he'll do as a back-up to McNabb should be be injured anytime during next season.

The Crippler
03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Jabar Gaffney is a good young WR imo. I think he'll McNabb in the offense and I guess Garcia will forever be a backup now.

Rob
03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
garcia is worthless, waste of money by philly