PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator Challenge 57 - Holiday Beatings Results

Will
12-19-2006, 10:42 PM
December 17, 2006
by Dave Mandel

SACRAMENTO, Calif., Dec. 16 — Bo Cantrell made short work of Cal Worsham, a late replacement for Gary Goodridge, by knocking out the seasoned veteran in only 17 seconds of the very first round Saturday night at the Memorial Auditorium.

Cantrell charged Worsham with a flurry of punches, backing up the UFC veteran to the cage where he tried to cover up, turn, and run. Cantrell was on him like glue, refusing to allow Worsham space to escape from the fence while landing big shots that sent the 11-year veteran face first to the canvas.

It took a few minutes for Worsham to get back on his feet, but he seemed to be OK as he left the cage. With the win, Cantrell retained the Gladiator Challenge heavyweight title.

The welterweight belt changed hands this evening as Jeremiah Metcalf won a split decision over James Fanshier in what was the only title bout of the evening to go all three rounds — let alone past the first minute. Metcalf landed some big shots and had Fanshier badly hurt at one point, but was unable to finish him.

Fanshier did score with some striking as well, and even took mount. However, the now ex-champion was easily swept when he went for a rushed armbar attempt. The lion's share of landed punches and takedowns went to Metcalf, prompting two of the three judges at ringside to give him the nod.

In the night's other title bouts, Jason Geris won with a 29-second TKO over Justin Bailey to take the vacated light heavyweight belt; and Chance Williams needed only 35 seconds to stop Nemeth Gabor and retain his title.

Full Results
Bo Cantrell def. Cal Worsham by KO 0:17 R1
Jeremiah Metcalf def. James Fanshier split decision 3R
Jason Geris def. Justin Bailey TKO 0:29 R1
Chance Williams def. Nemeth Gabor TKO 0:35 R1
Anthony Ruiz def. Jeremy Freitag TKO 3:48 R3
Nate Loughran def. Robert Sarkozi submission (triangle choke) 3:28 R1
Josh Hinkle def. Nick Covert TKO 0:45 R1
Jeff Morris def. Allen Scoville submission (keylock) 4:55 R2
Rick Cheek def. Dave Huckaba TKO 1:35 R2
Dave Rowan def. Sam Stevens-Milo split decision
Dave Espinosa def. Jesse Bowen unanimous decision
Walter Patterson def. Noah Schnabel submission (rear-naked choke) 2:30 R2

Its a really bad sign when 4 of your fights end in less than a minute, and two of them are championship fights. Although I guess that people shouldnt be expecting an amazing card with the talent on their roster. Most of these guys are total unknowns outside of GC and the ones that fought elsewhere probably shouldn't even be fighting anymore. The main event was a real letdown for me, I didn't even know that Worsham was still fighting. The last fight I saw him in was in late 1996 at UFC ultimate ultimate. Honestly,for the last 10 years, I thought Tank Abbott retired him. Sadly he is still hanging around getting beat up rather quickly, just as he was 10 years ago.

Bajingo
12-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Since they are both in the same promotion, i would like to see goodridge vs. worsham at GC 58 or 59. It probably wouldnt be a good fight, but it would have a nice nostalgia aspect.

Will
12-23-2006, 09:38 AM
I remember watching both of those guys fight in the early UFC's and not being impressed at all with either one of them. Goodridge would probably beat Worsham fairly easily though.