PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea shocked by loss at Fulham

Straight Edge
03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Fulham eased their relegation worries with a shock victory over Chelsea.

Fulham deservedly took the lead through Luis Boa Morte's shot, which came after they were denied a penalty for John Terry's challenge on Moritz Volz.

Collins John missed a one-on-one for the hosts before Didier Drogba had a goal disallowed for handball - after the referee consulted his assistant.

Mark Crossley tipped a Terry header over and Chelsea woes heightened when William Gallas was sent-off.

At the final whistle Fulham fans entered the pitch in what seemed at first to be a celebratory, and good-natured, pitch invasion.

But it soon turned ugly with clashes between fans as emotions threatened to boil over.

Supporters were involved in a stand-off and certain individuals were involved in skirmishes before tensions calmed down and police restored order along with the stewards.

It remains to be seen whether Fulham will be punished by the Football Association for failing to prevent the pitch invasion.

But Fulham could not hide their delight after a vital victory which leaves them 11 points above the relegation zone.

Their home form has proved their saviour so far this season and they showed why as they quickly imposed themselves on their west London rivals.

Fulham were forcing the issue and should have had the chance to take an early lead when right-midfielder Volz burst into the Chelsea box and was brought down by the sliding Terry.

And, although referee Mike Dean waved away Fulham's justifiable appeals for a penalty, their play was soon rewarded with a goal.

A Malbranque pass ricocheted off Frank Lampard to Boa Morte, despite Paulo Ferriera getting a slight touch with an attempted clearance, his shot went in.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho's response was to haul off wingers Cole and Wright-Phillips after 25 minutes with striker Didier Drogba and winger Damien Duff coming on as the visitors adopted a 4-4-2 formation.

Duff had a sweetly-struck shot well-saved by Crossley before the home side scrambled the ball clear.

But that was as close as an off-colour Chelsea got and they had keeper Petr Cech to thank for stopping them fall further behind.

Chelsea were caught out when John broke clear and Cech had to come quickly out of his goal to block the striker's shot.

Ricardo Carvalho came on for Robert Huth after the break as Mourinho juggled his resources but Fulham still possessed the greater goal threat.

Boa Morte hit the outside of the bar with a free-kick before Drogba thought he had equalised when he sidefooted into an empty net after Crossley rushed out of his goal.

Crossley's rush of blood to the head appeared to have cost his side dearly but referee Dean, who was quickly surrounded by the home side's players, disallowed Drogba's effort after consulting his assistant.

Chelsea pinned their rivals back in search of an equaliser and Boa Morte headed off his goal-line before Lampard sidefooted high from 15 yards.

Crossley's late save from Terry had Fulham breathing a sigh of relief before Gallas was red-carded for a rash tackle on Heidar Helguson in injury-time.

Gallas did not help matters when he aimed a thumbs down at supporters on his way back to the dressing room and Fulham's resolute defence held on to condemn Chelsea to a third loss in eight games in all competitions.

Shock result to say the least, I was expecting another Chelsea win. oh well, at least we're still 12 points behind Chelsea in the Premiership, not that we (Man Utd) stand a chance of winning the Premiership this year

OMEN
03-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Oh well we lost another game,It's not like we cannot afford to losse a few more games before the end of the season and still win the title...Fulham came to the match with a game plan and executed it well.They deserved the win..

Eva Pilot
03-20-2006, 11:58 AM
How sweet it is!

United are still in this.

We're coming for you Commie slags! *winks*

Slash
03-20-2006, 02:36 PM
*Cough* 5 - 1 *Cough*

Dark Drakan
03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Shocked to read about this, didnt expect that at all!

Eva Pilot
03-21-2006, 08:03 AM
*Cough* 5 - 1 *Cough*

*cough* The Treble *cough*

I rest my case.:wink:

Slash
03-21-2006, 03:36 PM
*cough* The Treble *cough*

I rest my case.:wink:

Seven fecking years ago! It means nothing now! Sure you were the best team in the world, but not anymore! You got put out of Europe before we did for feck's sake! Get over it! Look at the facts, we've won more trophy's than you have! We've won the League more times than you, won the European cup more times than you, won the League Cup more times, the only thing you're beating us on is F.A. Cups! So I think it's safe for me to say..............

*cough* 5 Times! *cough*

Eva Pilot
03-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Seven fecking years ago! It means nothing now! Sure you were the best team in the world, but not anymore! You got put out of Europe before we did for feck's sake! Get over it! Look at the facts, we've won more trophy's than you have! We've won the League more times than you, won the European cup more times than you, won the League Cup more times, the only thing you're beating us on is F.A. Cups! So I think it's safe for me to say..............

*cough* 5 Times! *cough*

I have nothing against Liverpool. It's just Chelsea fans who think they are "all that" without proving anything except money buys championships.

weezer
03-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Chelsea have now become the most hated team in England and possibly Europe and you can blame a few people on that. Jose's ignorant and arrogant manner, Drogba, my god just play football will you and stop complaining. i know people always say you are hated when you are popular, Man U went through it when they dominated, so did Liverpool but i dont think they ever had it like Chelsea, they have made football boring, they moan about everything and people always said Fergie was the worst, they never acknowledge when a team has played them at there own game and got a result, they just think the worlds against them and the way they act, i dont blame everyone hating them

Oh and i was so happy about this result, two games and it could be down to 6 if we win our game in hand and beat Chelsea in there own pitch, now how exciting would that be, 6 points is much easier to pull back 12 but United will give it a go and we have now got some momentum going

bring it on