PDA

View Full Version : Murray's late flurry lifts Cavs; Kobe misses at buzzer

OMEN
03-20-2006, 12:44 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/basketball/nba/03/19/lakers.cavaliers.ap/p1.kobe.jpg
Kobe Bryant finished with 38 points while LeBron James countered with 29.
CLEVELAND (AP) -- Forget the Kobe vs. LeBron hype. This one belonged to Flip.

In a matchup of two of the league's top three leading scorers, Flip Murray took over. The way LeBron James sees it, Murray set the tone for Cleveland's playoff run as well.

Murray hit a free throw with 3.4 seconds left and scored 14 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter Sunday, leading the Cavaliers to a 96-95 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Lakers had one last chance to win, but Kobe Bryant's 3-pointer clanked off the back of the rim as time expired. Bryant, under double coverage and struggling to get off the shot, complained to officials that he was fouled.

With streamers falling from the rafters and the arena erupting, James gathered his teammates in a huddle on the court.

"It was a big win for us," James said. "Mentally, I wanted to get the guys focused and let them know that this was a big win for us getting ready for the playoffs."

Murray's free throw marked his second game-winner for the Cavaliers since he was acquired from Seattle at the trade deadline for seldom-used Mike Wilks and cash. Murray hit a 3-pointer with seconds remaining to win at Chicago on March 2.

"Today, I had the chance to drive to the hoop and spark the team," said Murray, who added a career-high eight rebounds. "I just tried to come out and be aggressive in the second half."

Bryant, who shot 66 percent in the first half, finished with 38 points, six rebounds and five assists. James led Cleveland with 29 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.

"This game had playoff intensity and it was good to see us respond," James said.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas scored 25 points and had seven rebounds for the Cavaliers (38-29), who have won two straight after a three-game skid. Lamar Odom scored 25 points and added eight rebounds and nine assists for Los Angeles, which has lost four of five. Smush Parker scored 14.

The Lakers (34-34) fell to .500 for the first time since March 1 and lead New Orleans by one game for the eighth playoff spot in the Western Conference.

"The game was in our hands," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "We led for 46 minutes. It was a basic collapse by our team in the fourth quarter."

Murray sparked the Cavaliers' 15-0 run in the final period. His step-back 3-pointer started the burst and he repeatedly drove to the basket, scoring 10 fourth-quarter points on layups.

"There was so much attention on LeBron as they tried to deny him and to deny 'Z' down low," Murray said. "It opened up some lanes for me."

The Cavaliers took their first lead, 92-91, on Ilgauskas' tip-in with 3:19 left. James hit a 3-pointer on the next possession to cap the 15-0 run and go up 95-91.

The Lakers weren't finished, though. Odom hit two free throws and Bryant sank a 15-footer to tie it with 1:33 left.

The teams missed on their next two possessions each, then Bryant fouled Murray with 3.4 seconds left. Murray missed the first free throw and hit the second.

Bryant, who beat the Cavaliers in January with a go-ahead jumper with 8.6 seconds remaining, couldn't do it again.

"I had a look," Bryant said. "It was a tough shot."

Jackson and Bryant were disappointed that Luke Walton didn't call timeout instead of forcing the inbound pass.

"I think he got drawn into the play and didn't make the right decision," Jackson said.

Walton said it wasn't just his pass that lost them the game.

"We blew another one," he said, noting Friday's loss to New Jersey. "We've got to find a way to win these games or we're going to be done April 19."

The Lakers led by as many as 18 in the first half, with Bryant shooting 10-for-15 for 24 points and knocking down jumpers from all over the court. Los Angeles took a 63-49 halftime lead on his fadeaway 3-pointer with James in his face as the buzzer sounded.

"It was a great shot," said James shrugging. "You can't stop a shot like that."

Notes: The Lakers are 6-11 in games decided by four points or fewer. ... James set the Cavaliers' single season record for free throws made with 498, breaking Shawn Kemp's mark (493) during the 1999-2000 season. ... C Chris Mihm (right ankle sprain) and G Aaron McKie (left quadriceps tendon) were inactive. ... F Devean George played five minutes in his first action after missing six games with a sprained right wrist.

Associated Press