PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson Arrested On DUI, Cocaine Possession

Will
12-30-2006, 11:43 AM
SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA (TICKER) -- Mike Tyson is in trouble again.

The former heavyweight champion was arrested early Friday on suspicion of driving under the influence and possession of cocaine shortly after he left a nightclub.

According to the Buckeye Police Department, Tyson was stopped after his car almost struck a sheriff's vehicle while leaving the club. He voluntarily admitted to field sobriety tests and was arrested after "showing signs of impairment." Police then found cocaine on Tyson and in his car.

Tyson was booked at the Maricopa County jail and charged with felony drug possession. He was released without bond.

The 40-year-old Tyson returned to the ring in October to begin a world tour of four-round exhibitions. Tyson had announced his retirement from boxing after he lost to unheralded Irishman Kevin McBride in June 2005.

Tyson (50-6, 44 KOs) became the youngest heavyweight champion at age 20 in 1986. However, he was never the same after losing to Buster Douglas in 1990 in one of boxing's biggest upsets.

Less than two years later, Tyson was convicted of rape and spent almost three years in prison.

In 1997, Tyson reached his low point in the ring when he bit a chunk out of Evander Holyfield's ear during a world title fight.

Tyson squandered an estimated $300 million in earnings and declared bankruptcy in 2003.

Report by:
Matthew Boone

I didn't know that Tyson had a drug problem, but it would go a long way in explaining some of the crazy things Tyson has done in the last decade.

ajs
12-31-2006, 05:47 AM
Tyson Is Another Washed Up Wanna Be Thug!!!!! I Would Fight Him In A Mma/cage Fight & I Would Choke His Ass Out!!!!!!he's Punked Out To.... Ken Shamrock, Bob Sapp , Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell & Randy Corture!!!!! He Also Punk Out To Dan "the Beast"severn ,tank Abbout & Hoyce Gracie!!!!!!!!!alot Of Other Ufc & Pride Fighters Challanged Him (but) All He Does Is Run His Bitch Ass Mouth!!!!!!!!

Just KC
12-31-2006, 07:37 AM
What a sad case Tyson has become. I mean you think youd learn your lesson after the 1st time being in jail. I think he has taken to many punches to the head.

RKO 2007
01-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Bad move for Tyson.

Will
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
PHOENIX (AP) -- Former heavyweight champ Mike Tyson was charged Wednesday with drug possession and driving under the influence of drugs, and the Maricopa County prosecutor says he wants to send him to prison.

"He has run out of second chances, at least in my book," attorney Andrew Thomas said in a news conference.

Tyson, 40, was charged with two felonies for drug possession and two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence of drugs. If convicted of all four charges, he could be sentenced to between 2 and 7 1/2 years.

The charges stem from his arrest Friday in Scottsdale, where Tyson was pulled over after leaving a nightclub. An officer found bags of cocaine in his back pocket and another in a package of cigarettes in his car, according to court records.

Tyson's criminal attorney, Thomas Marlow, didn't return phone calls Wednesday from The Associated Press.

Tyson's arrest was the latest in a string of run-ins with the law, dating more than a decade.

In 1992, Tyson was convicted of rape in Indiana. Six years later, the former boxing champ pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault charges in Maryland.

Thomas said Tyson's record makes him eligible for prison time instead of Arizona's drug treatment programs for nonviolent offenders.

"I don't take any pleasure out of doing this," Thomas said. "A week ago, my kids and I were watching Rocky Balboa in the movie theater, and we saw Mike Tyson make a cameo appearance in the movie, and now here we are and he's looking at going back to prison."

Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in history in 1986, when at 20 he knocked out Trevor Berbick. Four years later he was knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas. By 1997, Tyson's career hit its low point when he bit Evander Holyfield's ear during a fight.

Tyson recently got back in the ring for a series of four-round exhibitions. When announcing the world tour, Tyson told reporters he was deep in debt and wondered if people would still pay to watch him fight.

On Friday, Tyson was released without bond after a brief court appearance. He didn't make any comment to reporters, except to offer a greeting.

Thomas said Tyson should be back in court for a preliminary hearing within the next two weeks.

The car Tyson was driving was spotted weaving and nearly struck a police SUV after he ran a stop sign early Friday, according to a police probable cause statement filed in court. During the stop, police said they saw him trying to wipe a white powder off the console of his car.

No alcohol was detected in his system. But Thomas said Tyson failed a sobriety test and officers searching his vehicle found three bags that later tested positive for cocaine.

The officer who made the arrest wrote in his report that Tyson "admitted to using today and stated he is an addict and has a problem."

Tyson is required to submit to drug and alcohol testing and is prohibited from drinking or taking any nonprescription drugs while the case is pending.

Just KC
01-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Mike Tyson was charged on Wednesday in Arizona with drug possession and driving under the influence of drugs. Tyson is charged with two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence of drugs and two felonies for drug possession. The four charges could garner Tyson a sentenced between 2 1/4 and 7 1/2 years. The lead prosecutor made it clear he wants to send Tyson to jail.

Tyson was arrested last Friday after he was pulled over just as he left a night club. According to court records, Police found
bags of cocaine on Tyson and more in a package of cigarettes in his vehicle.

Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas said in a news conference about Tyson, "He has run out of second chances, at least in my book."

Thomas also said that Tyson's record makes him eligible for prison time and not that of Arizona's drug treatment programs for nonviolent offenders.

Thomas added: "I don't take any pleasure out of doing this. A week ago, my kids and I were watching Rocky Balboa in the movie theater, and we saw Mike Tyson make a cameo appearance in the movie, and now here we are and he's looking at going back to prison."