PDA

View Full Version : UFC 66 Live Results and Updates

Will
12-31-2006, 01:55 AM
I'll be posting the live updates of UFC 66 here throughout the night.

Anthony Perosh vs Christian Wellisch

Round 1
Perosh controls early first round action with lowkicks and a right hand that finds its target. Wellisch defending the shot well, until Perosh briefly drug him to the mat at the 2-min mark. Wellisch then lands a knee to the chin of his opponent, followed by a right hand that drops Perosh. Wellisch pounds on his
foe from the top position for the duration of the round. Sherdog.com scores the round 10-9 for Wellisch.

Round 2
Perosh lands a big right punch that drops Wellisch in the opening seconds of the round. Wellisch took heavy shots and later gave up his back while standing. Perosh worked for a rear-naked choke but could not secure the hold. Sherdog.com scores the period 10-9 for Perosh.

Round 3
Third round is all Wellisch. He dominated the entire round on the feet, while opening up a cut on the bridge of his opponent's nose. Wellisch takes the bout on all three judges' scorecards.

Christian Wellisch def. Anthony Perosh via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27) after 3 Rounds.

Zuffa ran a video package on the screens displaying info on UFC 67, including St.Pierre vs. Serra, Lutter vs. Silva, Quinton Jackson and a Croatian flag bearing the name of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

Rory Singer vs Yushin Okami

Round 1
Boring first round. Okami grazed two left high kicks off Rory Singer's face but neither did any damage. Singer was pushing forward but he only displayed a lazy jab. Sherdog.com scores the first round 10-9 for Okami.

Round 2
Okami scored a takedown early. Singer used a defensive guard and eventually kicked out and was able to rise to his feet. Okami scored another takedown before the bell sounded to end the round. 10-9 for Okami.

Round 3
Okami quickly gets the fight to the floor with a body lock. he moves to knee-on-belly position, then mount before he pounds Singer out with strikes. Singer tapped at the 4:03 mark.

Yushin Okami def. Rory Singer via TKO (strikes) at 4:03 of Round 3.

Gabriel Gonzaga vs Carmelo Marrero

Round 1
Class was in session for Marrero. Gonzaga was all over him early with a punch that sent Marrero to the canvas. Gonzaga then worked for an arm-triangle choke before giving it up for mount. Gonzaga then secured an armbar from the top to force a tap at 3:22 of the very first round.

Gabriel Gonzaga def. Carmelo Marrero via Submission (armbar) at 3:22 of Round 1.

Thiago Alves vs Tony DeSouza

Round 1
Tony tried to get the fight to the ground throughout the first, but Alves had none of it. Thiago then landed a huge punch that sent DeSouza to the canvas. Alves pounded away for the rest of the period. DeSouza is only saved by the bell after taking serious damage. Sherdog.com scores it 10-8 for Alves.

Round 2
Surprisingly, DeSouza comes out for the second round. Both fighters circling. DeSouza seems to be out of control with wild strikes. Alves times a DeSouza shot perfectly and lands a right knee on the the button that ends the fight at 1:10 of the second round.

Thiago Alves def. Tony DeSouza via KO (knee) at 1:10 of Round 2.

LIVE PPV FIGHTS

Michael Bisping vs. Eric Schafer

Round 1: Awesome near-round of action to open the PPV. Close round, back and forth but finished by Bisping near the end. On the feet, Bisping hurt Schafer a few times with kicks and punches. Schafer got him down multiple times and even had near-submissions, but ultimately Bisping would scramble out and get it to the feet.

Michael Bisping def. Eric Schafer via TKO (strikes) at 4:24 of Round 1.

Andrei Arlovski vs. Marcio Cruz

Round 1:
Pretty good fight, also didn't get past the first five. Arlovski was getting him early on the feet, but Cruz got him down. They got back up, but Cruz had a leg. He worked for at least a minute, maybe two, on getting the takedown. Eventually the fight goes to the floor with Cruz pulling back for a leg submission. Arlovski hit Cruz with a kick to the face, which caused Herb Dean to stop the action for a warning. As soon as he resumed it, Arvloski got him with a huge punch and got a better position. He pounded away and the referee had no choice but to stop it.

Andrei Arlovski def. Marcio Cruz via KO (punches) at 3:15 of Round 1.

Chris Leben vs Jason MacDonald
Round 1
Leben catches a low kick and follows MacDonald to the ground. Leben stands and connects on a few strikes while the Canadian tries to stand. For the next several minutes, MacDonald shoots unsuccessfully several times and receives heavy damage from the limbs of Chris Leben. The first round is all Leben, 10-9.

Round 2: Another good round. Leben was doing slightly better on the feet, but MacDonald was landing knees to the body and punches also. He kept wrestling him up against the fence with underhooks, eventually got a takedown. After a lot of moving around, MacDonald locks in a guillotine that puts Leben completely to sleep. He didn't tap, but MacDonald gets the win via submission.

Jason MacDonald def. Chris Leben via Submission (guillotine) at 4:03 of Round 2.

NOTES: In between rounds, they announced UFC 67 would have Mirko CroCop vs. Eddie Sanchez and Quinton Jackson vs. Marvin Eastman, in addition to the two title matches of Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra and Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter.

Forrest Griffin vs. Keith Jardine

Round 1: Round one saw Forrest doing better the first minute, all on the feet. The second minute, Jardine was doing better. Forrest did more leg kicks early, Jardine did more late. With the hands, Griffin seemed technically better but Jardine was throwing harder. Eventually, Jardine rocked Griffin with punches, and on the ground pounded away until Forrest was out.

Keith Jardine def. Forrest Griffin via TKO (strikes) at 4:41 of Round 1.

Note: They are airing Thiago Alves vs. Tony DeSouza now. This fight ends in the second round, so give us about 10-20 minutes until the main event is gearing up.

Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz

Ortiz enters the cage to the sounds of Eminem’s “Mosh.”The champion follows to DMX’s “It's Dark And Hell Is Hot Intro.”

Round 1
Tito throws a few low kicks and a straight right. Tito shoots for the first time in the bout. Liddell stuffs and backs away. Both fighters are showing good foot and head movement. Ortiz lands a right hand that backs Liddell up. Liddell lands a left hand that cuts Tito above the left eye. Chuck is picking up the pace. Liddell lands a heavy left hook that floors Ortiz. Liddell smells blood and jumps all over him. Referee Mario Yamasaki nearly steps in but Tito moves just in time. Chuck lets Tito up and finishes the round with a 10-9 score on the Sherdog.com scorecard.

Round 2
Ortiz shoots but Liddell has none of it. The pace slows as both fighters start to pick their shots. Tito lands a right hand and a body kick. Ortiz tries another takedown but Liddell stops it easily. The crowd starts to chant “Ti-To! Ti-To!” Ortiz lands another straight right hand. Ortiz shoots and takes Liddell’s back. Chuck stands and elbows before he clinches. Good action through two rounds. Sherdog.com scores the second frame 10-9 for Ortiz.

Round 3
Tito continues to work with the inside lowkick. Tito shoots and Liddell defeds again. Tito lands a right hand before backing out. Solid left to the body lands for Liddell. Chuck lands two more to the body. Tito drops levels for another takedown but Liddell stops it and punishes him with punches. Ortiz lands a left and a right that just seemed to upset Liddell. Chuck counters with a left hand that sends Tito to the mat off balanced, looking for a desperate shot. Liddell stepped to the side of Ortiz and reigned down strikes until Mario Yamasaki stopped the action at 3:59 of the third round.

Chuck Liddell def. Tito Ortiz at 3:59 of Round 3.

Bajingo
12-31-2006, 03:11 AM
I guess the rumors of Mirko debuting tonight were true.

Will
12-31-2006, 04:00 AM
Bisping is up next, i hope he has more luck then his TUF castmate Singer had earlier.

Bajingo
12-31-2006, 04:41 AM
There were a couple points where I thought he might lose it on the ground, but Bisping pulled out the win and is doing better than Singer and Herman so far in his UFC career.

Will
12-31-2006, 05:05 AM
^Herman has been a huge disappointment to me so far.

Arlovki looked good in his first match back after losing to Sylvia. As poor as the heavy weight division is, he may be in line for another rematch in 2-3 more fights.

Will
12-31-2006, 05:09 AM
Macdonald has been impressing me alot lately. Too bad I bet against him in vBookie though, he just cost me 150,000.

Bajingo
12-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Leben has dropped a few fights in the cage (4 or so?), but that still has to be considered a big upset for MacDonald.

Will
12-31-2006, 05:35 AM
I cant believe I'm 0-2 in vBookie tonight, I'm down 325,000. I'm worried about Chuck now. This seems to be the night of upsets.

Bajingo
12-31-2006, 06:35 AM
Ortiz-Liddell 2 went exactly as expected.

Will
12-31-2006, 06:39 AM
yeah it did, but its a bad ending for the UFC business wise. Liddell has beaten Ortiz strongly twice now, so there isn't really a market for the big third rubber match that ufc has been banking on lately. I don't know where Ortiz can go from here. He doesn't seem to have much life left in him as a fighter.

Just KC
12-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Aww man i want that damn Chuck Liddel to lose already.
ahh well this didnt seem like that good of a ppv and with some boxing competition coming up they need to pick it up abit there.