PDA

View Full Version : Boselli to launch Jags' Ring of Honor

OMEN
03-21-2006, 08:23 AM
ACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Tony Boselli, the Jacksonville Jaguars' first-ever college draft choice, signed a one-day contract with the team Monday in order to retire as a Jaguars player.

At the same time, Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver announced that Boselli will become the first inductee into the team's Ring of Honor this fall.
Boselli played seven seasons for the Jaguars after the team made him their No. 1 choice in the 1995 college draft following an All-American career at Southern California. He started a then team-record 90 of the 91 Jaguars game in which he played from 1995-2001 and was named to the Pro Bowl squad five times.

"It's been a couple of years since I knew I was going to retire, but I wanted to hold out because I wanted to do it as a Jaguar," said Boselli.

Boselli was selected by the Houston Texans in the 2002 expansion draft but never suited up with Texans because of a shoulder injury.

"The seven years I had here was amazing, I was treated so well by the city, by the Weavers, by the organization. I'm not going to let one thing that didn't work out ruin that," Boselli said.

Houston officials officially waived Boselli a week ago in order that he could sign his one-day contract with the Jaguars.

Weaver indicated that Boselli would be the first and only inductee into the team's Ring of Honor, with the ceremony to take place at a Jaguars home game this year.

"It's appropriate to have Tony as the first member of the Ring of Honor as one of the all-time great Jaguars," Weaver said. "Others will follow later but Tony will be the first and we'll commemorate and recognize his contributions to the franchise."

Weaver indicated that the team would follow the protocol of most other NFL clubs and would not retire Boselli's jersey No. 71 at this time.

Boselli had lived in Houston and Nashville in recent years, but returned to Jacksonville last November. He and former Jaguars quarterback Mark Brunell, now with the Washington Redskins, own a chain of fast-food restaurants in this area and helped create a new church in Jacksonville that now has 1,400 members.

Associated Press.

It's a shame that Tony Boselli's career was cut short by injury as he was destined to be one of the best left tackles the NFL had ever seen.