PDA

View Full Version : Molik planning shock comeback

OMEN
03-23-2006, 09:23 AM
http://vnexpress.net/Vietnam/The-thao/Tennis/2005/01/3B9DAEA5/1_6T.jpg
ALICIA Molik is planning a shock comeback to professional tennis just a week after vowing not to rush her return from a career-threatening virus.

Molik hasn't played since a nagging inner ear infection forced Australia's former world No.8 to retire mid-match in the first round of her Zurich title defence last October.

But in a major surprise, the 25-year-old was today named in Australia's five-woman Fed Cup squad to contest the Oceania play-offs in Seoul next month.

Molik had planned to sit out the entire 2006 season to try to recover from vestibular neuronitis, a debilitating condition that left her fatigued and off-balance since first striking her down last April.

"She's really excited. She's got a real bug in her belly to get back on court," Molik's manager Lisa Chaffey said today.

"She's been practising for the last couple of weeks and it's great she's made herself available for the Fed Cup."

Although Australia's team will not be finalised until the day before for the week-long round-robin in South Korea begins on April 17, Molik considers the timing and environment perfect for a comeback, and hopes to use the event to test the waters before embarking on a full-scale return to the WTA Tour.

The Australia team is being captained by her former long-time coach David Taylor for the first time and Molik is certain to be picked for doubles at least if she feels up to playing.

"Alicia's not seeing this as a one-off," Chaffey said.
"Timing-wise, she thinks it's good – she will be surrounded by Aussies and a really good support crew.

"After that, she will look at making a return to the tour – possibly at a couple of claycourt tournaments in Europe before the French Open.

"She's thrilled. At the end of last year, she looked like taking the whole of 2006 off.

"She took time off to look after her health and she feels she's done that."

Molik had been flying before being stopped in her tracks in Miami last April.

The Melbourne-based South Australian had soared to a career-high ranking inside the world's top 10 after capturing four titles and a cherished Athens bronze medal in six memorable months.

Molik attempted to soldier on with her illness but suffered three straight first-round defeats before reluctantly opting to skip Wimbledon.

After a two-month break, the 2005 Australian Open quarter-finalist made another unsuccessful return at the US Open before five defeats in her next six matches forced Molik to abort her comeback in tearful fashion while trailing Jelena Jankovic 6-3 4-2 in the first round of the Zurich Open.

Molik has since slumped to No.295 in the world but will return to the tour with a special protected ranking inside the top 20 whenever she steps back on court for a WTA event.

Just last week Molik was reluctant to set a date for a return to competitive tennis.

"I made a premature comeback last time so it's very important that I am comfortable and that my game is steadily improving before I do that again," Molik said after her elimination from the Seven Network's Dancing with the Stars.

"I want to feel comfortable and I don't want to put too much expectation on myself."

Molik will be joined in Seoul by Samantha Stosur, Nicole Pratt, Rennae Stubbs and Fed Cup debutante Casey Dellacqua.

AAP