PDA

View Full Version : Couture Signs 4-Fight Deal w/ UFC, Fighting Sylvia

Will
01-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Randy Couture appeared on "Inside the UFC" on Spike TV this past Thursday night and dropped his bombshell announcement.

He'll be returning to the octagon - to fight, at the age of 43 he'll be returning to his old stomping grounds of the Heavyweight division to challenge the champion Tim Sylvia.

That's right, coming from the 205 lb. weight class when he retired, Couture will take on the 6'8'' 265 lb. Heavyweight champion in his first fight back at UFC 68 "The Uprising" in Ohio for his title belt.

Randy Couture went on to announce that he signed a four-fight, two-year contract that will see him competing in the eight-sided cage until he is 45 years old.

He's a former two-time Heavyweight champion, two-time Light Heavyweight champion and UFC Hall of Famer. Will he be able to add another amazing accolade to his already astonishing career? We'll find out March 3, 2007 live on pay-per view when UFC 68 "The Uprising" hits the Nationwide Arena in Ohio.

Telemikis
01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Glad to see him back to be honest but wouldn't like to see him against Cro Cop. Sylvia & Couture should be a good fight and lets face it the commentating world isn't really losin' a top guy :D

oojay
01-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Is his fight against Sylvia for the title? And I wouldnt be surprised to see Shamrock come out of retirement, move back up to the HW division, and have a Hall Of Famer vs. Hall of Famer match.

Will
01-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Is his fight against Sylvia for the title? And I wouldnt be surprised to see Shamrock come out of retirement, move back up to the HW division, and have a Hall Of Famer vs. Hall of Famer match.

yes it is for the title. This is from UFC.com

"For Couture, what this comeback revolves around is not only a return to the sport he loves as a participant, but having a chance to make history as well as the first man to win the heavyweight title three times. "

And I wouldnt be surprised to see Shamrock come out of retirement, move back up to the HW division, and have a Hall Of Famer vs. Hall of Famer match.

I really don't think there is very much chance of Shamrock coming back. He has lost 5 of his last 7 fights and I honestly believe that he knows his time in the cage has long passed.Although Zuffa does have deep pockets and could put the type of money on the table that would make almost anyone step into the cage one more time, probably including Ken.

ajs
01-13-2007, 05:40 AM
if ufc had no rules & weight classes like the old days than shamrock , tank & gracie ....would be a champion.i'm happy 2 see that randy is back!!!!!!!

gator
01-13-2007, 08:37 PM
cro cop will destroy couture

Will
01-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Couture wont make it past Sylvia so i doubt he will even get a shot at Cro cop.

Bajingo
01-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I think that people are underestimating Couture. I think he has a good shot at beating Sylvia.

Bazzafergie
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Couture is going to get destroyed, he should have stayed away

thesexyone
01-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Couture won't get destroyed, bu I don't see him winning. Couture is a wrestler and GnP, and well we all saw that Sylvia will only have one thing on his mind just like in the Monson fight and that is sprawl. Sylvia will use his reach advantage and just jab away. Now I'm not a Sylvia fan, but it's hard to deny that he's good. Anyway, here's to hopin Couture wins.