PDA

View Full Version : Falcons extend Mora's contract through '09 season

OMEN
03-25-2006, 04:58 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/03/24/bc.fbn.falcons.mora.ap/p1_032406_mora_getty.jpg
Jim Mora believes last season, while disappointing, was an important cornerstone for the franchise's long-term future
ATLANTA (AP) -- Jim Mora wants to spend the rest of his coaching career with the Atlanta Falcons. The team is committed to him for at least four more seasons.

Despite a second-half collapse that ruined a shot at the playoffs, the Falcons gave Mora a three-year contract extension Friday that runs through the 2009 season.

"My family and I love it here," Mora said in a telephone interview from his home. "Our business is a little bit nomadic at times. We'd like to stay here as long as we can. I appreciate the confidence they have shown in me."

Mora guided the Falcons to the NFC South championship and within one win of the Super Bowl in his rookie season. Atlanta was 6-2 at the midway point last year but won only two games the rest of the way, finishing 8-8, missing the playoffs and extending the franchise's 40-year streak of never having back-to-back winning seasons.

Even so, Falcons owner Arthur Blank decided to give the coach a new deal. Mora initially signed a five-year, $7.5 million deal for his first head-coaching job, but the last two years were at the team's option.

The new contract guarantees those final two years and adds another year to the deal.

"We're delighted Jim is our head coach, and we want him to be a part of our long-term success," Blank said in a statement. "Jim demonstrates every day his knowledge and passion for football, and he is a great leader for our players."

The 44-year-old Mora has an overall record of 20-14. If he stays with the team through his new deal, he would join Leeman Bennett and Dan Reeves as the only coaches to last six consecutive seasons with the team.

"We started talking about this long before the collapse," Mora said. "I'm just grateful that Arthur has shown this confidence in me."

The son of longtime NFL coach Jim Mora has earned high marks for his handling of the team but received criticism for letting his temper get the best of him at times. There have been several testy exchanges with the media, and Mora apologized for his irate response to a question from the team's radio analyst after the Falcons were eliminated from the playoffs last season.

When asked whether his off-the-field conduct was a part of the contract negotiations, Mora said, "Arthur and I talk about everything. There's not a topic we don't touch on."

Mora acknowledged that he's not the most patient person -- what football coach is? -- but insisted that he doesn't mind dealing with the media or handling his other off-the-field duties.

"It can always get better, but I think I've gotten a lot more patient," he said. "The goal is to grow and get better all the time. I'm always trying to do a better job in everything, whether it's being a dad, a husband, a coach or dealing with the media. I don't ever think you've got it made."

Mora believes last season, while disappointing, was an important cornerstone for the franchise's long-term future. Injuries and salary cap restraints forced the team to rely heavily on youth, especially on the defensive side.

While many of the younger players struggled, they also gained valuable experience that should pay off down the road. "I can see myself saying, 'Yeah, that was a tough six weeks, but man, it's really paying off now,"' Mora said.

The Falcons have taken major steps during the offseason to upgrade their defense. They signed four-time Pro Bowl safety Lawyer Milloy, acquired safety Chris Crocker in a trade with Cleveland and worked out a deal and long-term contract with defensive end John Abraham, a three-time Pro Bowler.

"We're heading in the right direction," Mora said.

He wants to be part of it for the remainder of his career.

"I want to finish here," Mora said, who then paused and chuckled. "Not too soon, mind you. I want it to be down the road a little bit."

Associated Press.