PDA

View Full Version : Bennett bemoans Lockyer fullback reports

OMEN
03-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Former Australian coach Wayne Bennett has accused Australian selectors of having short memories after reports they were seriously considering playing Darren Lockyer at fullback ahead of Anthony Minichiello in the upcoming ANZAC Test against Tri Nations champion New Zealand.

While Lockyer offered a stern "no comment", saying he was unaware of the report quoting national selector Bob McCarthy, Bennett hit out saying it was a "good way to create a bit of disunity".

The newspaper report said selectors were "keen" to return Lockyer from the front line of defence, where his performances have been criticised, to the No.1 jumper.

It said Minichiello would play on the wing with either Trent Barrett or Braith Anasta at five-eighth.

"We don't want him (Lockyer) having to make 100 tackles," said McCarthy.

"Because of his great attacking prowess you don't want to see him saddled with making 40 tackles a game with those big boppers in the back-row running at him the whole game."

Bennett, who quit as Kangaroos coach soon after Australia lost its first series since 1978 to New Zealand last November, was clearly stunned by the speculation about Lockyer and Minichiello.

Lockyer missed the 24-0 Tri Nations final loss with a broken foot.

"It's just premature talk. I don't know whether they're trying to remind everyone there is a Test match coming up," said Bennett.

"It might have been a good way to grab a few headlines, I don't know, I don't know till they pick the team," he added.

"All I would say is that it would have to be a hell of a player to replace Anthony Minichiello at fullback.

"I can't believe how quickly they've forgotten how good he is and what he's done for Australia.

"He's won the Harry Sunderland medal two years in a row as the best player for Australia playing fullback.

"It's a good way to create a bit of disunity anyway."

Minichiello also won rugby league's Golden Boot as the game's best player last season.

Minichiello's club coach Ricky Stuart, who has replaced Bennett as Kangaroo coach was non committal about a positional switch for the Rooster's custodian.

When asked about the move, Stuart said he would prefer to wait and hear what the selectors had to say first.

"I think Darren Lockyer's best position is fullback but unfortunately we have got the world's best player there at the moment," said Stuart.

"In saying that, it's not my position to pick the team, it's the selectors', and I will coach whatever team they give me."

Bennett said recently he would not be afraid to move Lockyer back to fullback if he felt his defence was being too heavily targeted.

Lockyer has responded with two very good games against the Sharks and again on Sunday against Parramatta, delivering a swift reply to his coach and his critics.

Yahoo.au