PDA

View Full Version : Olympiakos closes in on its 34th Greek title

bad_meetz_evil
03-28-2006, 02:48 AM
ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Olympiakos Piraeus moved closer to retaining its first division title on Monday with a comfortable 3-0 home win over Atromitos.

Goals from Michalis Konstantinou, Erol Bulut and Predrag Djordjevic gave the defending champion its 22nd win in 25 league games and a nine-point lead over Panathinaikos Athens and AEK Athens.
With five games remaining, Olympiakos has 66 points. Panathinaikos and AEK both have 57.

Olympiakos pressed from the opening kickoff and led in the 18th minute when Konstantinou converted a cross from Pantelis Kaffes. It was the Cyprus striker's ninth goal of the season.

The Piraeus hosts nearly doubled the lead in the 30th when a blistering shot by Bulut went just wide.

Olympiakos dominated possession in the second half but struggled to create any real opportunity. That changed in the 71st when Turkey defender Bulut powerfully headed in a corner from Djordjevic.

Five minutes later, Djordjevic converted a penalty.

Atromitos had its best opportunity in the 68th when an angled shot by Rafik Djebbour went narrowly wide.

OMEN
03-28-2006, 08:53 AM
I do not know that much about Greek football but Olympiakos are one of the biggest teams in their league and look to have dominated all the other teams as they loo to retain their Greek title..

Dmac
03-28-2006, 09:26 PM
I think it may be fair to even say they are the biggest team in Greece, but...

Click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMcDFNQw6oo&search=gerrard%20goal%20olympiakos)

... haha couldnt help myself sorry.