PDA

View Full Version : Schu dodges retirement issue

OMEN
03-29-2006, 09:00 AM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5131067,00.jpg
Schumacher ... with teammate Felipe Massa during a rugby session.
FORMULA One legend Michael Schumacher has danced around retirement talk, saying he is tiring of speculation about when he will quit the sport.
The seven-time world champion's contract with Ferrari expires at season's end, and he is already reported as saying 2006 may be his last if he is not a title challenger.

But ahead of this weekend's Australian Grand Prix, Schumacher was trying to avoid further speculation on the topic.

"We will just have to wait some time. I will make up my mind at some point and get into the details of what is my preference," Schumacher said.

"I don't really want to get into that (talk about retirement) because it just leads to further speculation.

"A lot of people speculated before my previous extension of contract, when we extend and so on.
"I extended for three years, then the next speculation was 'okay, what's going to happen after that'.

"There's always speculation happening. I've made decisions in the past and then people keep on speculating."

At 37, Schumacher is the oldest driver on the grid and has indicated he will make a final decision midway through the year about his future.

The German has started the season solidly, second in the season opener in Bahrain and sixth in Malaysia a fortnight ago.

He sits equal second in the drivers' championship behind world champion Fernando Alonso and is looking forward to his usual strong showing at Albert Park.

Schumacher has won four of the last six Australian grands prix, but crashed out of last year's race.

But he believes he and new teammate Felipe Massa have a far better Ferrari to work with in 2006 and expects a better finish than last year.

"Last year it was sometimes very clear from the beginning you have no chance," he said.

"But it's so exciting to run this year again because this year we have a lot more hope and trust in the package that you could win if things go well.

"The expectation over the weekend is to be somewhere between where we were in Bahrain and where we were in Malaysia.

"It's a little bit difficult to anticipate the situation beforehand because weather conditions could be quite variable down here and could have quite an effect."

The Bureau of Meteorology is tipping rain for Saturday's knockout qualifying session, but fine weather for Sunday's 58-lap race.

News.au