PDA

View Full Version : Beckham endorses Sven for Real

OMEN
03-29-2006, 09:10 AM
REAL Madrid midfielder David Beckham believes England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson possesses all the right credentials to make him an ideal choice as next coach of the Primera Liga club.

"I think he would work well because one of his qualities is his man-management," the England captain told reporters.

"It is important the way he treats the players and what he gets out of them. He gives the players a lot of respect."

Eriksson, who will be leaving the England job after the World Cup, was one of seven names that featured on a list of managerial targets announced by Real Madrid president Fernando Martin earlier this week as potential successors to present boss Juan Ramon Lopez Caro.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, Liverpool's Rafael Benitez, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, Fabio Capello of Juventus, Carlo Ancelotti of AC Milan and Italy coach Marcello Lippi were the other high-profile names featured on the wish-list.

But the Swede is the only one of the seven who will definitely be free to take up the Real Madrid post at the end of the season. All the others, bar Lippi, have distanced themselves from the job in recent weeks.

"I think the list is a list of the best managers in football," Beckham added.

"It's easy to say who you want but getting them is going to be difficult but then again this is Real Madrid."

Beckham believes Eriksson's experience with big-name players makes him an ideal choice for the Real Madrid job
"He will support the players in front of the press and I think that is important, players respond to that," he said.

"He is an experienced manager, so he can handle the job. He has been the English manager for five years and he has handled the press and pressures there so I'm sure he can handle it wherever he manages next.

"I'm sure if you asked any of the other managers who are on the list if they were not in a job they would be excited about the prospect of managing this club, but Sven is the obvious one because he will be out of a job. He will be free and available so we will have to see what happens."

Beckham, who has worked under five different coaches since he joined Real in July 2003, said the club was in desperate need of some stability if it was to have a chance of putting an end to its three-year trophy drought.

Agence France-Presse

With Sven not staying as England manager the Real Madrid job may be his best chance to get back into club management and bring back success to the once famous club that has been over shadowed by Barcelona in the last few years..