PDA

View Full Version : Champion Munyai halts brave Power

AFC1986
01-27-2007, 12:14 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42497000/jpg/_42497017_boxing_203.jpg

Martin Power failed in his second bid to claim the Commonwealth bantamweight title when he was stopped by ruthless champion Tshifhiwa Munyai in Dagenham.
The brave British title-holder, 26, was retired by his corner after four one-sided rounds having been totally outclassed by the South African.

Power sustained an elbow injury which may have hampered his punching ability.

But he was never in the fight and it was a sensible decision from his trainer Johnny Eames to pull him out.

Unbeaten Munyai, 21, inflicted a first defeat on Londoner Power when standing in at the last moment for their first clash last June.

But whereas their first fight was an exciting nine-round scrap, Power was under pressure from the opening bell of this rematch and never came to terms with the champion's slick combinations.

"Give him credit, Munyai fought very well," Power admitted.

"But I picked up an elbow injury after the second round and it was restricting me.

"It was hard enough to fight him with two hands, but with just one I was struggling. I wanted to carry on but my corner wouldn't let me."

Munyai said: "I knew from the first fight that I could beat him and, if anything, this fight was even easier for me."

credit: bbc sport