PDA

View Full Version : Cole plays down United hopes

bad_meetz_evil
03-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Joe Cole insists that Chelsea are as confident as ever of retaining the Premiership title, despite seeing their lead cut to nine points.

Manchester United's victory over West Ham on Wednesday meant The Red Devils moved as close as they have been for many months.

With United due to travel to Stamford Bridge late in April, some at Old Trafford feel that there is a real chance of catching the West London outfit.

However, Cole insists that Chelsea are more than happy with their current situation.

"We're confident and in a fantastic position," Cole told Sky Sports News.

"I am sure if you said we would be nine points clear at the first game in April to any Chelsea supporter or player at the start of the season, we'd have said 'yes'.

"We are in a great position, we have got the cup to play for as well and if you look at that we're in a fantastic position. We just need to finish the job off."

Despite his confidence Cole realises that United will still provide a challenge.

"No doubt they will push us all the way, they are a great team with a great manager and are bang in form," he continued.

"We know we need four wins more or less to do it and we're lucky enough to be in a position where we only have to concentrate on our own performances and our own results so that is going to be the focus."

Switching his thoughts to the World Cup, Cole admitted that he still was not certain of his place in Sven Goran Eriksson's starting XI - despite the fact he has made the problematic left-side problem his own in recent months.

"I don't think anybody can feel that when you play for England, competing against some of the best players in the world in your position," he said.

"Every game I play for England is a chance to impress and do well for my country.

"I don't think I will ever feel comfortable in that I will always have to fight for my place.

"I just want to try my best and I think that is all you can do."

Eva Pilot
03-31-2006, 06:20 AM
*Kevin Keegan voice*

I'd luv it, just luv it if we beat em!

Dark Drakan
03-31-2006, 04:30 PM
I would love it aswel it would be so funny. Unlikely but funny none the less.