PDA

View Full Version : Sinclair plans to skip the country

OMEN
03-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Mathew Sinclair is poised to quit New Zealand to play first-class cricket in South Africa.

Sinclair confirmed last night – moments before winning the Redpath Cup at the New Zealand Cricket awards dinner in Auckland – that he is locked in talks with Eastern Province.

The Central Districts run machine said he had been approached to join Eastern Province in April for their final two games but had declined because of commitments to Central and his wedding.

However, unless the national selectors do a major about-face and issue him with a professional contract for the 12-month period starting in June, he said he would pack his bags for South Africa.

Sinclair, 30, steadfastly denied he was issuing an ultimatum to the selectors to include him on their 20-player contract list or else.

"I don't want this developing into a Dutch auction but I've got to look after my financial situation and it's a very lucrative offer, especially when you compare it with what I'm getting at CD ($30,000)," Sinclair said.

"It's hard to see me getting a (NZC) contract after I missed out last year.
"I've scored a lot of runs this summer but, really, what are my chances? I'm not holding my breath."

Sinclair was a shock absentee when the New Zealand contracts list was read out last year, losing out to fellow top-order batsmen James Marshall and Craig Cumming.

After a period of soul searching he put his head down and his pride to one side and began work on the Napier wharf and some relief teaching.

Then he did his talking with the bat, racking up 895 first-class runs at 49.72.

Embarrassingly for the national selectors, that won him the first-class batting award – the Redpath Cup – in Auckland last night, ahead of test batsmen Nathan Astle and Peter Fulton.

"I've given New Zealand cricket and Central cricket 10 years of my best service and if I go I'll continue to live here for the other six months.

"My heart will still be in New Zealand but there are times when you have to look after No 1."

Sinclair said Eastern Province, who have one of the world's fastest bowlers in Mfuneko Ngam on their books, were on the lookout for a top-order batsman.

"I'm pretty serious about it. The opportunity has come from nowhere and they are very interested in getting a top-order batsman," he said.

Sinclair's last match in New Zealand could come next week when Central tackle Wellington in the five-day State Championship final at the Basin Reserve in Wellington.

http://stuff.co.nz/inl/images/masthead/dominionpost.gif

It will be a shame if Central Districts loose Mathew Sinclair to Souh African Cricket,The sad thing is at the moment New Zealand has a great many exelent batsmen and not all of them will get the chance to show what they can do playing for the Black Caps..