PDA

View Full Version : JPM rates chances over Renault

OMEN
03-31-2006, 08:50 AM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5132269,00.jpg
Staying cool ... JPM says he has the RPM to win.
McLAREN will go Renault hunting with a new weapon at Albert Park this weekend.
The silver bullets have been given upgraded Mercedes engines and more efficient aerodynamic packages for the Australian Grand Prix after a sluggish start to the season.

But even with hot, new engines, McLaren driver Juan Pablo Montoya says his team will still need a superior pitstop strategy to beat th French powerhouse.

"It will be interesting to see what it (the engine) does. I think if it is competitive and everything goes well we should be able to fight them in the race," Montoya said. "The only way to beat them is to be a bit smarter in the race."

Montoya battled an engine software problem in the opening race in Bahrain but pushed on for fifth and managed fourth in Malaysia.
We just keep bringing engine packages in and the engine keeps improving. I think we had a big disadvantage in the first few races but now the engine is up to speed and running well," he said.

The Colombian said the McLaren struggled in the Malaysian heat and the team had to run open bodywork, which affected its performance.

"The pace of the car was down. We had to open up the car for cooling and we lost a lot of performance," Montoya said.

With comparatively cool conditions forecast this weekend, McLaren will run its regular body work which should represent a big improvement.

"I think here we are going to be very quick. The car has a lot of potential," he said.

He said there is no reason to think Renault would run away with the title.

"As long as we can keep scoring points we will be there at the end of the year," he said.

McLaren teammate Kimi Raikkonen is desperate for points after being knocked out of the Malaysian Grand Prix on the first lap by Christian Klien.

Raikkonen's run of bad luck began at the opening round in Bahrain when a suspension failure in qualifying forced him to start the race from the back row. He eventually finished third.

Raikkonen said he was due for some luck at Albert Park.

"I am really hoping for a trouble-free weekend as the car feels good and I feel I can get some good results in it," Raikkonen said.

The ice-cool Finn said the crash with Klein was just "something that happened".

Raikkonen said the McLaren could be fast enough to match the Renaults.

"I think the first race we were as quick as they were. I don't know how quick they will be here," he said.

He said McLaren needed to get back in touch with Renault.

"It is important for us to get back in the championship, there are very many races to go but it always makes it more difficult if you are behind," Raikkonen said.

FoxSports