PDA

View Full Version : Favre wants to play if Pack improves

OMEN
04-01-2006, 12:53 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/03/31/bc.fbn.packers.favre.ap/p1_favre.jpg
There were rumors Brett Favre would announce his decision by Saturday, but he said that wasn't true.
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Green Bay Packer Brett Favre said he wants to play again but he'll return only if the Packers can assemble a winning team.

And if he does return this year, there is "no doubt" it will be his last season, he said.

The venerable quarterback said he wants the team to get better players and make a committment to winning.

"Last season, expectations were high and it was a bad situation," Favre said of the team's 4-12 season, his only losing one as quarterback. "If we can't compete at a high level, I can walk away and my legacy will speak for itself."

Rumors have been circulating that Favre would have to make his decision to return by Saturday, but Favre said they're untrue.

"If I don't tell them by Saturday, what will they do, cut me?" Favre told the Sun Herald on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Favre, in town to award grants to groups following Hurricane Katrina, said he has been talking to the team for the past month and there are things that both parties have to sort out.

"If they don't come together, I guess I won't play," Favre said. "I don't know if my decision will be made by Saturday."

Favre said some days he wants to play and other days he wants to retire. Knowing he can still compete at a high level is making the decision tough, he said.

Even his wife is ready for his decision, Favre said.

Associated Press.