PDA

View Full Version : Crash mars Ambrose debut

OMEN
04-03-2006, 11:13 AM
MARCOS Ambrose had an accident-marred introduction to oval racing in the US today.

The two-time Australian V8 Supercar champion made his debut in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, a feeder for the top flight NASCAR Series.

He qualified his Ford F-150 20th in the 39-car field at Martinsville, Virginia, and ran as high as 18th.

However, two drivers came together in front of Ambrose on lap 150, and the Australian could not avoid the collision.

Forced into the pits for repairs to the front of his Ford, Ambrose returned but was 52 laps down on the tight 800-metre track where a good lap time is less than 20 seconds.

Ambrose was officially classed 33rd at the finish, and he scored 64 points.

"To be honest, I am just proud to be a part of this show," Ambrose said.

"It was great to qualify for the race where we did, and we were running pretty well when a couple of those guys came together in front of me and I had nowhere to go.

"It's tough getting caught up in someone else's accident, especially after managing to avoid four other incidents earlier in the race.
"We were pretty conservative all weekend to ensure we made the show and kept ourselves out there. In the end we were just a couple of 10ths off pole and right in the mix.

"I feel like we have created a lot of momentum this weekend and I look forward to carrying that into the coming races.

"We are just out there learning as much as we possibly can and we certainly did that today. It is a good feeling to get my first ever oval race under my belt."

AAP