PDA

View Full Version : Mosley Wins WBC Title With Victory Over Collazo

Will
02-13-2007, 03:29 AM
LAS VEGAS (TICKER) -- "Sugar" Shane Mosley turned back the clock.

The 35-year-old Mosley won the interim WBC welterweight title Saturday night at Mandalay Bay Resort Hotel with a unanimous decision against Luis Collazo.

Mosley (44-4-0, 37 KOs) dominated the 12-round fight throughout, countered perfectly and knocked down the 25-year-old Collazo in the 11th round with a right hand. He won by scores of 118-109, 119-108 and 118-109 in his first title fight as a welterweight since 2002.

"I felt good. I got some good shots off," Mosley said. "I was light on my feet and my punches were a little quicker."

Mosley, who has been boxing professionally for 14 years, connected on 200-of-601 punches, while the lefthanded Collazo (27-3-0) landed just 87-of-639.

"(Being lefthanded) affected me a little bit," Mosley said. "I came out after him and he hit me with a few good shots, but I knew I was faster than him. I was hitting him with right jabs.

"I hit him with some good punches. He's a tough kid."

Mosley returned to the division he once championed after a pair of junior middleweight victories against Fernando Vargas.

Those wins were two of four over the past two years since the 35-year-old was beaten twice each by Winky Wright and Vernon Forrest between 2002-04 - Mosley's only four career losses.

Collazo had won 12 consecutive matches before suffering a controversial split-decision loss to Ricky Hatton for the WBA welterweight title on May 13.

The title was vacant because present champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is moving up in weight to challenge Oscar De La Hoya for the super welterweight title on May 5.

On the undercard, former WBA titlist Vivian Harris (27-2-1, 18 KOs) won a hard-fought 12-round unanimous decision over Juan Lazcano (37-3-1) in a WBC super lightweight eliminator. Scores were 114-113, 115-112, 115-112.

Harris earned a shot at WBC champ Junior Witter with the victory.