PDA

View Full Version : Potter star's stage debut praised

OMEN
02-28-2007, 12:14 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42622000/jpg/_42622423_equus_afp.jpg
Radcliffe was not concerned about appearing naked on stage
Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe received a standing ovation at the end of his West End stage debut in Equus.

Actor Christian Slater, Bob Geldof and TV presenter Graham Norton were among those who watched the 17-year-old actor at the Gielgud Theatre.

Radcliffe plays troubled stableboy Alan Strang, who has an erotic relationship with his horses.

Slater said: "The work that Daniel did on stage was incredible, extraordinary. I take my hat off to him completely."

He added: "He became Alan Strang. I never thought for one second I was looking at Daniel Radcliffe - I was watching Alan Strang.

"I'm remarkably impressed. I think he was brave, adventurous and courageous, he's a phenomenon and I would certainly love to work with him."

Newspaper reviews of the play have also been positive.

Michael Billington wrote in The Guardian: "The revelation of this revival is that Daniel Radcliffe really can act, proving that his screen appearernces as JK Rowling's boy-hero are no flash in the magic pan."

Talking point

A nude scene in the play has dominated headlines about the play since Radcliffe announced he was taking on the role.

But TV presenter Norton said: "Why do people keep asking about him being naked? I'm a gay man and I'm not mentioning it. It's a play - get over it, ladies."

After the performance, Radcliffe admitted the scene, with co-star Joanna Christie, was the talking point of the production.

"I sort of expected it really," he said.

"If I went into it thinking nobody was going to talk about it, I would have been very stupid.

"But it's not a big part of the play, it's four minutes at most."

Meanwhile Warner Bros, the studio behind the Harry Potter films, issued a statement denying reports it was unhappy with Radcliffe's appearance in the play.

The studio said it "fully supports him in the artistic choices he makes as an actor."

BBC

Jodes
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
wow Harry Potter is growing up :shifty: