PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather's Perfection to Be Tested

W-OLF
04-08-2006, 01:49 PM
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Floyd Mayweather Jr. sees years of jealousy in Zab Judah's eyes. Mayweather is unbeaten and nearly unrivaled as the world's best pound-for-pound fighter. He's favored to win a championship belt in his fourth weight class when the two meet Saturday night for Judah's IBF welterweight title.

Mayweather (35-0, 24 KOs) is rich, charismatic and an emerging spokesman for all boxers in a keenly image-conscious sport. In short, Mayweather is everything Judah (34-3, 25 KOs) could have been, and Mayweather thinks it just kills the underachieving Brooklynite.

"This fighter's been jealous," Mayweather said. "He's been so jealous of me, and I can't help it. All I've done was really dedicate myself. ... I've been here before, so many times, and I know what it takes."

Judah also is a three-time champ with enviable skills, but his unrealized potential is exemplified by three embarrassing defeat - including a loss in January against unheralded Argentine Carlos Baldomir, costing Judah millions of dollars in this matchup.

But the jealousy Mayweather perceives might be something else: Desperation for a fighter who must do something unprecedented to rescue his reputation. Unless Judah beats Mayweather, or at least seriously challenges the unbeaten star, his career will be in shambles.

"This isn't a fight for money for Zab Judah," said Don King, Judah's promoter. "This is a fight for livelihood, for survival. He knows it, and Floyd Mayweather better know it, too."

"Zab has to put on a tremendous performance," said Mayweather promoter Bob Arum, who teamed up with longtime rival King for just the fourth time since 1975. "A loss will be a major career setback for him."

The fight carries the slogan "Sworn Enemies," but even boxing cliches can be somewhat accurate. The fighters exchanged words at Thursday's news conference and again at Friday's weigh-in outdoors at Caesars Palace, where their entourages stepped in when Judah began yapping at Mayweather, who simply smiled before finally joining into the argument.

But Judah isn't saying much to anybody else before the unbeaten Mayweather tries to usurp his fourth championship in four classes. Judah skipped a pre-fight teleconference with reporters, and he had little to say at the main news event Thursday.

"This is something I've prepared my whole life for - not particularly against Floyd Mayweather, but he just happens to be in this position," Judah said. "Come (Saturday) night, I got a trick for you. You already know what it is."

And that was it from Judah, who isn't exactly known for being taciturn. Mayweather has suggested Judah is angry with King's management and financial dealings. King claims Judah owes him "quite a bit of money" from previous loans.

Mayweather and Judah were friends years ago, training together while their stars rose, but grew apart in recent years. They met up again for a sparring session in 2004 that quickly turned ugly, with Mayweather landing dozens of punches before Judah's people pulled him out of the ring, according to those who were there.

Judah is among the fastest boxers Mayweather has ever fought, but his suspect chin and debatable power could be disastrous against arguably the world's most complete fighter. In just his second welterweight bout, Mayweather is likely to pound Judah with the straight right hands that have trounced several accomplished opponents.

Judah's has blamed his loss to Baldomir, which lowered his purse for this fight drastically, on too many media commitments and distractions. After an impressive victory over Cory Spinks last summer to claim the undisputed welterweight titles, Judah lost the WBC welterweight title to Baldomir - and only retained the IBF crown because Baldomir refused to pay that body's sanctioning fee.

Judah can rebuild his reputation with a good showing against Mayweather - but his opponent sees the fight as another step toward history.

"A lot of people talk about his fight with Baldomir, but that wasn't the best Zab Judah," Mayweather said. "You'll see the best Zab Judah on Saturday, and you'll see the best me. When you bring it together, there's going to be an explosion.

"I know in my heart he'll give his all, but I'm the best in the sport of boxing."
credit BellSouth