PDA

View Full Version : Muse win best band at NME Awards

OMEN
03-02-2007, 02:10 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42630000/jpg/_42630143_muse_ap203b.jpg
Muse will be the first band to play at London's new Wembley Stadium
Rock group Muse have been named best British band at this year's NME Awards.

The Arctic Monkeys scooped two awards on the night, including best album for Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not and best music DVD.

US group My Chemical Romance won best international band, while Jamie T picked up best solo act at the ceremony at the Hammersmith Palais in London.

The award for best new band went to The Klaxons and Kasabian took home the gong for best live act.

There were also wins for The Killers and The View in the best video and best single categories.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42631000/jpg/_42631453_screampa203ok.jpg
Primal Scream collected the Godlike Genius Award
The Reading and Leeds Festivals won best live event and cult BBC Three comedy The Mighty Boosh took best TV show.

BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe was honoured with best radio show and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was voted best film.

The awards, voted for by NME readers, also featured "worst" categories, with Robbie Williams - currently in rehab in America for a dependency on prescription drugs - winning worst album for Rudebox.

Lily Allen missed out on scooping best solo artist but did manage one win - worst dressed.

KEY WINNERS
Best British band: Muse
Best international band: My Chemical Romance
Best solo artist: Jamie T
Best new band: Klaxons
Best live band: Kasabian
Best album: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Best song: The View - Wasted Little DJs
Best video: The Killers - Bones
Best music DVD: Arctic Monkeys - Scummy Man

"This is the verdict of the real passionate British music fans, the ones who keep the music scene alive at gigs up and down the country week in and week out," NME editor Conor McNicholas said.

"It's a reflection of how strong the British music scene is that there's so much to be celebrated."

Primal Scream, who collected the Godlike Genius Award, closed the event with a performance of The Clash classic (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais.

The ceremony, hosted by Xfm DJ Lauren Laverne, also featured performances by The Killers, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs, and a collaboration between Jarvis Cocker and The Gossip singer Beth Ditto.

BBC