PDA

View Full Version : wrestling styles having an advantage?

Abhishek_Divekar
03-05-2007, 05:33 PM
okay stonecold (especially after the back injury) was a brawler rock was a brawler hogan (from what I've seen and lack of moves was a brawler) john cena is a brawler and they all have or had major success in the wwe from late 90's and on. but technical wrestlers like benoit, guerro, finley, got their successes but still ended up upper mid-carders at best. high flyers are used as mostly cruiserweights and are lucky to get to the intercontinetal champinship I.e. jeff hardy. my point is it just coincidence that some of the most dominant champs were brawlers while technical wresters were jobbing to them or is it that only a certain style that is marketable because tech wrestling is considered boring or highflyers wouldn't be taken seriously as a heavy weight champion.
is it a coincidence and da guys wit mainstream talent just happen to be brawlers or is there something bigger goin on?

legolas4792
03-06-2007, 02:30 AM
idk if people want brawlers they should watch mma i want to see technicians at the top

Platinum_Lies
03-06-2007, 03:17 AM
It has to do with muscular image. Hogan was big, Cena and the Rock ripped, and then there is Batista and Lashley. Austin, although used a lot brawling was a very proficient technician, but his attitude/gimmick leaned towards bar room fight mentality.

McMahon does not understand that size and physique means little in wrestling. Most of the legends in this business aren't very big: Piper, Steamboat, Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, HBK, Sting, and Angle to name a few. There are very few great big men, but McMahon decides to shove that image down our throats.

Of the brawler/big men in the business, only three have remained loved: Andre, Hogan, and Austin (and the Ultimate Warrior could be included as well). The Rock has faded since leaving, Cena though loved is hated by many more people, the Big Show struggles for legitamacy, and look at how hard it is for Umaga and Khali to get over with the fans.

dashowstar
03-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Another brawler who is a big man and is beloved and I think will continue to be after he is retired is The Undertaker.

Platinum_Lies
03-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Hard to say with the Undertaker. He has the most memorable gimmick of any wrestler, but it is impossible to tell if the fans will continue to remember and love him until he has been retired for a few years. But I do not think he will every be able to break through the Michaels/Hart/Hogan barrier of the greatest of all time. (Most fan polls over the past decade seem to have either HBK or Bret Hart at the top of the list). Hell, even Austin can't seem to beat HBK/Hart and he is still huge with fans.

The Lost Soul 13
03-09-2007, 04:44 AM
I don't believe it is a concidence, I don't believe it is necessarily right either when it comes to Vince and everyone else in charge. It can be a bit of a parody although I didn't find it that bad when someone the size of Rey Mysterio is champ. However, someone around 6'0 and 230 lbs such as a Shawn Michaels is great for a variety of reasons both as a whole and to the specific individual. Firstly, it adds a dynamic of speed to the matches which usually helps especially with an imposing challenger who lacks speed.

Secondly, and this applies to Eddy Guerrero and Shawn Michaels most specifically in my eyes there is a mental element to a smaller guy holding the title. Like in any other sport or situation with a smaller guy it forces a mentality of being crafty. Rey Mysterio actually did a pretty good job of this as well considering he was a face. If this is done well it adds infinitely to a heel or a character that caters to cheating and one upsmanship. Additionally, with a guy being both physically capable and coming off as intelligent it makes them seem a great deal more credible. Logic states that a guy who is 220 lbs is not going to be able to physically overcome a 350 lb guy much if at all, but if you show craftiness and tenacity it makes it seem that much more likely.

Platinum_Lies
03-10-2007, 03:10 AM
I don't believe it is a concidence, I don't believe it is necessarily right either when it comes to Vince and everyone else in charge. It can be a bit of a parody although I didn't find it that bad when someone the size of Rey Mysterio is champ. However, someone around 6'0 and 230 lbs such as a Shawn Michaels is great for a variety of reasons both as a whole and to the specific individual. Firstly, it adds a dynamic of speed to the matches which usually helps especially with an imposing challenger who lacks speed.

Secondly, and this applies to Eddy Guerrero and Shawn Michaels most specifically in my eyes there is a mental element to a smaller guy holding the title. Like in any other sport or situation with a smaller guy it forces a mentality of being crafty. Rey Mysterio actually did a pretty good job of this as well considering he was a face. If this is done well it adds infinitely to a heel or a character that caters to cheating and one upsmanship. Additionally, with a guy being both physically capable and coming off as intelligent it makes them seem a great deal more credible. Logic states that a guy who is 220 lbs is not going to be able to physically overcome a 350 lb guy much if at all, but if you show craftiness and tenacity it makes it seem that much more likely.

I agree about HBK and Eddie. At their size they could brawl with almost anyone but had that extra dimension of speed and high flying ability. The only problem with Rey was that he was too small. 5'6 against some of the bigger men (6'5-7'0) was never a really good match. And during his championship reign this showed since during most matches he was squashed.

scrich321
03-10-2007, 08:45 PM
I think it goes to the idea that these guys are supposed to seem super human. Thus the larger than life personas are easier to work and promote and are simply more recognizable to the average or occassional fan.

Platinum_Lies
03-11-2007, 03:00 AM
I think it goes to the idea that these guys are supposed to seem super human. Thus the larger than life personas are easier to work and promote and are simply more recognizable to the average or occassional fan.

I'd say the occasional fan, such as those that joined breifly during the Attitude Era. It is easier for such fans to notice the bigger men since they don't fit in even if they are being low key. It would be impossible to miss the Big Show walking around the supermarket compared to a Kurt Angle or HBK. I actually met Angle after a show once in a resturaunt and nearly missed him. Since he wasn't wearing his ring attire, or had it covered, he looked like just another guy until I got up to leave and passed his table. I had to be a few feet away to notice who he was... that would not have happened if a 7ft man such as Khali or Show was sitting there.

wwe9113
03-11-2007, 03:25 AM
IMO its a coincidences wrestling fame is judged on likeness Mic skills(really big for today)and gimmicks

Mr Perfect
03-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Well if you look at it, those guys mentioned, Rock, Austin & Cena, all pre there People's Champ, Beer Drinker Finger Flipper, Rapper gimmicks were no gimmick grappler's who just wrestled, it's a part of the transition to a main eventer, most main events are "punchy and kicky" thats the way it's always been, but people do that cos they are in the main events, not to get o them.