PDA

View Full Version : Winslet accepts libel settlement

OMEN
03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42660000/jpg/_42660359_winslet_pa_203.jpg
Winslet was nominated for an Oscar for Little Children
Actress Kate Winslet has accepted a "substantial" settlement in her libel action over a magazine claim that she had visited a diet doctor.

Grazia magazine had suggested she was concerned about her weight, despite publicly criticising Hollywood's obsession with thin women.

The weekly has apologised and accepted that she went to the doctor in connection with a neck problem.

The settlement will be donated to an eating disorder charity.

I have always been, and shall continue to be, honest when it comes to body/weight issues
Kate Winslet
The story surfaced after Winslet visited the Chinese Healing Institute in Santa Monica, California.

At the time the 32-year-old, who was nominated for best actress at this year's Oscars, said she was "very upset".

In a statement Grazia said: "We are satisfied that she did not go to [a doctor] seeking any treatment for weight loss.

"We are very happy to set the record straight and sincerely apologise to Kate for the distress caused."

Through her solicitor, Ms Winslet said: "I am delighted that this matter has been resolved, and the record set straight. I am not a hypocrite.

"I have always been, and shall continue to be, honest when it comes to body/weight issues."

In December she said her concern over the effect of fashion magazines on girls was so great she refused to have them in the same house as her six-year-old daughter, Mia.

BBC