PDA

View Full Version : Umaga ready and willing

OMEN
04-12-2006, 12:30 AM
http://stuff.co.nz/inl/common/imageViewer/0,1445,231524,00.jpg
ON A ROLL: Hurricanes players training yesterday ahead of Sunday's match against the Highlanders at Carisbrook, Dunedin. The squad was boosted with news that Tana Umaga is fit and available for selection for the Super 14 match.
The team isn't named till Friday, but a fit and available Tana Umaga is as close to a certainty to make his return to the Hurricanes against the Highlanders on Sunday as it gets.

"The knee's good," the former All Blacks skipper said yesterday of the left knee he injured against the Cheetahs in their Super 14 match in Bloemfontein just over a month ago.

"It's come through all the tests so far. Obviously I've got to get through the week now, but I'm available for this weekend. Hopefully the coaches pick me."

There is almost no chance they won't – on the bench, if not in the midfield – as Umaga is a dominant figure in the Hurricanes.

Coach Colin Cooper tried to play down Umaga's return yesterday, but the smile on his face told the story.

"He's fit and available and we'll have to make that call," Cooper said when asked if Umaga, 32, would start at Carisbrook.

"He looked good in club rugby and he's looking good today, so it's looking pretty good that he'll be considered."

Adding to the likelihood Umaga will play on Sunday – probably in place of Tane Tu'ipulotu – is the position the Hurricanes find themselves in.

They are fourth but need to win at least three more games to confirm their place in the semifinals.

With away matches to come against the Brumbies and Waratahs and home games against the Chiefs and Reds, Sunday's match against the Highlanders takes on added importance.

Halfback Piri Weepu has also declared he is over the mysterious virus that saw him spend a night in hospital before the Crusaders match nearly two weeks ago.

Weepu said the cause of his illness remained unknown but he felt healthy again and was ready to "turn up the heat" in Dunedin. "I've felt I've slipped away a bit and I've had a few people tell me I'm not the same as I was on the end of year tour (with the All Blacks) last year.

"Hopefully in the second half of this campaign I can pick it up." Weepu said there was nothing to link the scare two weeks ago with his severe dehydration while playing the Cheetahs last month.

"I feel I'm back to normal and I'm not really worried about the future and whether I'll get sick or anything like that. I'm back to 100 per cent."

He also refused to allow his brushes with illness to excuse any below par performances.

"I haven't been up to scratch. I haven't been my normal self but hopefully I can pull it back. This is my opportunity to turn up the heat and play to the best of my ability."

http://stuff.co.nz/inl/images/masthead/dominionpost.gif