PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know why?

Abhishek_Divekar
03-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Not sure if anyone will know the answer to this. But back when Bret Hart beat Flair for his first World title it was never really televised. Surely this passing of the torch should have been on a hyped up PPV. So my questions are:

1. Anyone know the background reason to why it was done the way it was out of the blue?
2. Same applies to Backlund losing to Nash the night after he won the title from Bret Hart?
3. Anyone think of any other occations this has been done?

I suppose more than anything I have no idea why they did these title switches out of nowhere on a house show.

Platinum_Lies
03-15-2007, 03:50 AM
I believe the reason for the Flair/Hart deal was Flair's departure for WCW (the year where he held the belts for both companies in the same year). And remember, at this time there were only a few PPV's (Wrestlemania, SSeries, SSlam, and Royal Rumble I think) and limited television time compared to today. so having the belt change hands at a non-televised event, especially if it was a massive attendance event.

I am not sure of the reasons behind the Diesel/Backland exchange, maybe just on the spur decision due to injury or some such event.

I don't think any World Championships have changed hands that way since the attitude era, but the IC championship has had several such occurences over the years. Edge was involved with one back in 99 or so. The most controversial title event, however, was the tag championship that the Rockers actually won but due to a re-signing it was annulled and never televised, so the Hart Foundation kept the belts.