PDA

View Full Version : Pats sign Seymour to extension

OMEN
04-14-2006, 12:55 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/04/13/bc.fbn.patriots.seymour.ap/p1_seymour.jpg
Richard Seymour was scheduled to make just over $2 million in base salary in the upcoming season.
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- New England Patriots All-Pro defensive lineman Richard Seymour said Thursday he just wants to be paid fairly -- a figure he and the team put between $7 million and $8 million per season for at least four years.

"At the end of the day, that's what both sides came to," the 6-foot-6, 310-pound defensive end said in a conference call Thursday, a day after signing a four-year contract extension.

"I'm honored to be back in a Patriot's uniform," he added. "I want to retire a Patriot."

Seymour, 26, is the cornerstone of the team's young defensive line. He is currently in the last of a six-year deal that he signed as a rookie out of Georgia. He held out of training camp last season until he was given a raise.

Seymour was scheduled to make just over $2 million in base salary in the upcoming season. He refused to discuss specifics of his extension or if the new contract would affect his pay this season. He did confirm his extension would pay him between $7 million and $8 million per season.

The four-time Pro Bowler has had 316 total tackles, 25 1/2 sacks, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries in 71 career regular-season games. In nine playoff games, Seymour has added another 41 total tackles, 3 1/2 sacks and one fumble recovery.

"I always thought that good things come to those who wait anyway," Seymour said of his contract, adding he relished playing in New England.

"At the end of the day, when I lay my head down I want to be happy," he said. "You can have all the money in the world and not be happy."

Associated Press.