PDA

View Full Version : WWE: CHRIS BENOIT TALKS WRESTLEMANIA 23, AND EDDIE GUERRERO... More

Black Widow
03-21-2007, 08:56 PM
WWE: CHRIS BENOIT TALKS WRESTLEMANIA 23, MEMORIES OF WRESTLEMANIA 20 AND EDDIE GUERRERO, TALENT COMING THROUGH THE RANKS, TNA AND MORE
by Phil Lowe
21 March 2007, 12:51 pm

(As originally posted in the Interviews section of WrestleMag.com where you can also find interviews with the likes of Bill Goldberg, Rena Mero, Kip James, Nidia, Gabe Sapolsky, Ted DiBiase, Harley Race and more)

With WrestleMania 23 less than two weeks away, WrestleMag.com got the chance to speak to World Wrestling Entertainment’s Chris Benoit about WrestleMania, up and coming stars in the company, next month’s UK tour and more. Here’s what he had to say:

With WrestleMania 23 coming up, I just wanted to talk about WM20, where you won the World Heavyweight Title in the main event. What are your memories of that match and the show itself?

I remember throughout that whole day I was so nervous and so uptight. I had so many people coming up to me, and a lot of my colleagues so were happy for me that I had finally gotten that opportunity and that I was in the main event of WrestleMania. I just could not talk to anyone, I couldn’t focus - someone would be talking to me and looking right into my eyes and I wouldn’t hear a word that they said - I couldn’t hold a conversation. But I remember as soon as I walked out, I was focused on my dream and it was a defining moment of my career. I’d been wrestling for so many years and I’d had so many ups and downs…and all the beatings I’ve taken. I remember after the match suddenly everything become so emotional and it was like being in a dream.

How did you feel at the end of that match towards the end of the show when you and the late Eddie Guerrero were embracing in the ring (a moment we just ranked in our Top 10 WrestleMania Moments). What memories of that celebration with Eddie do you have?

We’d know each other for fifteen years and both of us were always told that we were too small, or not strong enough, or that we didn’t have enough skill to ever be World Champion. We both got teased a lot about our size, and to be standing there in the ring at WrestleMania having won, that was a beautiful moment for me in my career. I am really happy that I was able to have that moment with Eddie. I mean, we spent so much time on the road together, and in Japan. We went through so many ups and downs. When he was down I would be there to help him, and when I was down he’d be there for me. Whenever I doubted myself he would be there to make me believe again. That moment at WrestleMania 20 meant so much to me.

Looking ahead to this year’s show, there are going to be a few young guys making their WrestleMania debuts. What are your thoughts on the likes of MVP, CM Punk, Ken Kennedy and other youngsters who are being given opportunities right now?

I think it’s a great opportunity for them. Take MVP. I mean two years ago he had no idea, and now he’s in WrestleMania. He’s a guy that virtually came from nowhere and all of a sudden he’s challenging for the United States Championship. I’m happy for guys like Ken Kennedy and CM Punk that have the chance to experience that. I know for myself and a lot of my friends that we waited years and years, and worked so hard just to get that opportunity. Just to get this far in the biggest company in wrestling is incredible, so I really am happy for them.

WWE this week announced that going forward, all PPV’s will feature talent from all three brands. From a fans point of view it is seen as a good thing, but for you as a performer, do you worry that opportunities for some people in the company, who would previously have been on a single brand PPV, might be overlooked to accommodate talent from the other two brands?

I think it’s a good opportunity but I would rather keep RAW with RAW, Smackdown with Smackdown, and ECW with ECW, you know? Otherwise if it’s done too much it could water down the novelty of it, because it is great to do once in a while especially for the fans to see Shawn Michaels on Smackdown, or like Booker T on RAW. But I think if you do it too much it loses its notoriety.

So if you were going to be in a PPV against a wrestler from RAW or ECW, who stands out from the other two brands as someone you would like to go up against? Someone who perhaps you’ve not yet had the chance to meet in the ring?

I would love the opportunity to step into the ring with Umaga. I’ve never gone up against him. I think both of our styles are very rugged and we would be able to have a very good match - a very physical match. On Smackdown, I would love to meet the Undertaker in the ring as I’ve never wrestled him in a singles match. On ECW, probably CM Punk. I enjoy watching him.

WWE recently signed two former Stampede stars in TJ Wilson and Nattie Neidhart. How familiar are you with both of them and what are your thoughts on WWE continuing to sign talent from this promotion?

In today’s market it’s good, because it’s giving guys opportunities. I don’t necessarily completely agree with the developmental system though. I think for some people it’s good - for people like TJ Wilson and Nattie Neidhart because they have international experience. But a lot of the guys coming over don’t always know their trade, and I think that it’s not necessarily about paying dues, but it is about proving yourself. People are only as good as their last match, you know every time I step into that ring I have to prove myself. People like TJ and Nattie have shown that they have passion and they love what they do. But some of the guys that show up might have a good cosmetic look, but they really haven’t shown me that they’ve got the passion, and that’s what it comes down to. It’s a lifestyle, not a job, and if you’re in it for the money, you won’t last.

Some of your former colleagues (and opponents) are plying their trade elsewhere for various reasons, some to TNA and some heading towards Japan - do you get time to watch TNA or any other wrestling promotion and if so, who or what are you enjoying the most?

I think TNA has some tremendous athletes, but I just don’t enjoy watching the matches because although they do a lot of spectacular stuff, I don’t like the psychology of it. I would love to see AJ Styles or Samoa Joe come and do WWE, I think that would magnify their popularity. But however, it’s good to have promotions like TNA because it’s opened up doors for a lot of guys who are aspiring to come towards WWE.

The build-up towards WrestleMania 23 has seen an improvement in TV ratings, and there’s a definite “buzz” surrounding the show - what makes this show so special for you as a performer?

Just the history of it. When you understand the history of WrestleMania you really have to understand how amazing it is. There is a long list of legends that have been part of it and it’s so special. I didn’t really understand how special it was until my first WrestleMania which was in Anaheim - I felt like I was at the top of my game and I couldn’t go any higher.

And finally, once WrestleMania is out of the way, you’ll be back in the UK next month for the first UK tour of the year. Despite the gruelling travelling involved, do you enjoy performing overseas?

I hate - and hate is a strong word but I’m going to use it - everything about what I do apart from when I’m wrestling. It’s really hard to travel all the time - it burns me up - but we do all of this because of the passion we have for the bell-to-bell times. I am looking forward to coming over here - the fans are always so appreciative and they seem to be a lot more energetic than in the US. This is why I do what I do, for these moments.

wrestlemag.com

legolas4792
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
yeah i hate traveling too i dont blame benoit