PDA

View Full Version : Vince talks to Daytona News Journal about Wrestlemania 24; What happens if it rains?

LionDen
03-22-2007, 05:50 PM
In his latest column in the Daytona News Journal, Jeff Wilen talks about attending the press conference for the WrestleMania 24 announcement in Orlando. He got to interview Vince McMahon. One of the things he asked him was what would happen if it rained, which I wondered myself. Basically, the show will go on and people will work in the elements. McMahon also said that Paris, France and Las Vegas, NV were the other front runners for the show. I would have loved Vegas. To read the story, click here (http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/breakingnews/wrestle.htm).

Thanx to PWInsider.com

I was wondering myself what happened if it rained.

I have posted the full article below for members convenience:

It's official: Wrestlemania 24 will be in Orlando next year
BY JEFF WILEN

If you visited this web site Monday, you know I was the first media person anywhere to confirm that Wrestlemania 24 in 2008 will be in Orlando.
Today, I attended WWE's morning press conference at City Hall in Orlando. Let's get to the facts first:

Wrestlemania 24 will be March 30 at the Citrus Bowl. WWE expects 60,000 fans to pack the facility for the annual event.

The Orlando area will also get the annual Hall of Fame induction ceremony the night before (March 29) and a plethora of autograph signings and wrestler appearances. Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer mentioned the Bacon/Bagels and Biceps Brunch with the wrestlers and some charity events over a five-day period.

Dyer mentioned WWE's popularity when he said WWE.com gets 16 million hits per month, and over the next year, Orlando will be all over WWE programming. Dyer also said there would be $25 million generated in new direct spending. That's a lot of money to go around, folks.

After Dyer spoke, he introduced Vince McMahon.

"It's about time Florida hosted a Wrestlemania,'' McMahon said in a release. "We could not be more excited about bringing Wrestlemania, the world's No. 1 sports entertainment event, to Orlando, the No. 1 tourist destination in the world."

McMahon said at the press conference that "you always want to go where you are welcomed." He then said Dyer was the one who initiated this event six months ago, and that Dyer said, "I have two words for you." McMahon then, while smiling, said, "No, not those two words," before saying Dyer said, "Orlando, Florida."

"Wrestlemania is so different from anything anyone has ever produced,'' McMahon continued. "You really owe it to yourself, once in your life, to go to a Wrestlemania. An outdoor event is something we haven't done in a very long time."

Going back into the archives, WWE has only had one completely outdoor Wrestlemania. That was WM 9 in 1993 at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

After the press conference, I had a one-on-one with McMahon. Here's how that went:

I asked him if there was any concern about having an event of this magnitude outside. His response: "We have little concern about the weather. It's worth the risk. Wrestlemania will go on, regardless of the weather." I really hope it doesn't rain. It would be a logistical nightmare for WWE and its fans!

I asked him if the slight emergence of TNA wrestling played any role in WWE choosing Orlando. McMahon got that famous look on his face, and he said it didn't at all. He said this "wasn't like WCW and Ted Turner" from a few years back. And, then, he said he honestly didn't even know TNA was based here in Orlando. While he has to know that, ouch! That was a direct slap to TNA wrestling.

Finally, I asked him why Orlando over the other rumored city, Las Vegas. He said that yes, Vegas and Paris were also front-runners, but "we felt geographically, we haven't done a Wrestlemania in the Southeast, in Florida, and that the time is now."

After McMahon spoke, he introduced Mean Gene Okerlund, who did the wrestler introductions.

Following are their comments (in order of appearance):

Batista: "It's just pure electricity. It's magic. It's good for me. I live in Tampa. I might just walk here." As for WM 23, he said, "I want to see Vince McMahon going out of that building bald!"

Mean Gene followed with, "It's a pleasure to be bald."

Melina: "Wrestlemania 24 is going to heat up one of the largest cities in the world, and I plan to be there (as champion)."

Bobby Lashley: "Some would say that my journey is over, but there are many Wrestlemanias coming for this kid." To McMahon, he said, "Don't go wasting your money buying hats. Just let it go free, because being bald is a beautiful thing, Vince!

Ashley: She said a lot of great things have happened to her since entering WWE. She mentioned going overseas, meeting the troops and doing Playboy. She also said that "attending Wrestlemania in Orlando, Florida, next year is going to be a big honor. I plan on coming to Wrestlemania 24 as the WWE women's champion."

John Cena: "Orlando, as a city, has a reputation. Wrestlemania is a day where, as WWE performers, our dreams come true. There is no better fit. I will work my (butt) off every single day to make sure I get to Wrestlemania 24. We definitely will come into town to make history.''

WWE announced that WM 24 tickets will go on sale over the summer sometime (likely, but not official).

The next WWE event in Orlando will be June 5 at the Amway Arena. That's a Smackdown/ECW taping. Tickets go on sale April 7.

So, what now?

First, maybe I'll see myself on TV on April 1 during WM 23 when they show the WM 24 press conference highlights.

Second, I need to convince my bosses that we need to do a special section on this in 2008 for The News-Journal print edition.

And, finally, March 30 is my birthday. So, if any of JAWBreaker's readers are feeling generous, a few tickets would be a great birthday present.