PDA

View Full Version : Valencia climb two clear of Real Madrid

bad_meetz_evil
04-17-2006, 08:59 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/SPORT/football/04/16/spain.valencia/story.valencia.afp.gi.jpg

MADRID,Spain -- Valencia moved two points clear of Real Madrid in the battle for the Primera Liga runners-up spot by crushing King's Cup winners Espanyol 4-0 on Sunday.

Real were held to a 1-1 draw away to neighbors Getafe.

Manuel Tena deprived Real of victory with an 83rd minute header.

A first-half penalty from leading scorer David Villa, second-half headers from Argentine centre-back Roberto Ayala and substitute Mista and a late strike from Ruben Baraja put Valencia clear second in the table.

Espanyol, who beat Real Zaragoza 4-1 on Wednesday to win the King's Cup, had Eduardo Costa sent off in the second half.

Defeat left Miguel Angel Lotina's side one point clear of a congested relegation zone.

Valencia did not take the lead until late in the first half when Villa scored from the penalty spot after being brought down.

There was no way back for Espanyol once Costa was sent off on the hour and Ayala made it 2-0 soon after when he nodded in a Villa free kick.

Unmarked forward Mista stooped low to head in the third on 70 minutes and Baraja wrapped it up when he cracked in on the half volley after a corner just before the final whistle.

Veteran Italian defender Amedeo Carboni had a marvellous game at the back for Valencia on his return to the starting line-up at the age of 41.

Defeat left Espanyol, who beat Real Zaragoza 4-1 on Wednesday to win the King's Cup, just one point clear of a congested relegation zone.

On the bench
Real Madrid coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro decided to leave England captain David Beckham on the bench at the start against Getafe, preferring to play Brazilian wing back Cicinho on the right and Uruguayan Pablo Garcia in the middle.

His tactical tinkering had little effect, however, as Real gave a ragged display in the first half and would have trailed had it not been for a string of sharp saves from Iker Casillas.

However, Real took the lead against the run of play when Brazilian forward Julio Baptista, who had hit the bar in the first half, steered in from the edge of the area on the hour, Getafe protesting strongly that he had controlled the ball with his hand.

Getafe continued to have the better of the play, though, and gained a deserved equaliser when Tena outjumped the Real defence to send a glancing header past Casillas after Cosmin Contra had whipped in a free kick from the left.

"It was just bad luck and poor finishing that meant we didn't win," said Real coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro

Lopez Caro left England captain Beckham on the bench until the last 15 minutes.

"The decision was mine, nothing more. I am not worried (about what people will say) becuase I was exercising my responsibility to put out my best eleven.

"I could be wrong but I was trying to find what was the best for the team," added Lopez Caro.

Struggling Cadiz pulled off a fine victory at Zaragoza to keep alive their hopes of avoiding the drop.

Savio gave Zaragoza a 19th minute lead but Lucas Lobos equalized from the penalty spot three minutes before half-time and Matias Pavoni hit the 47th minute winner.

Celta Vigo enhanced their UEFA Cup prospects with a 2-0 victory at Real Betis, Jorge and Jesus Perera finding the net.

Bottom club Malaga picked up a point by drawing 1-1 at Osasuna, but had Salva dismissed in the final minute.

Francisco Punal's 31st minute penalty put Osasuna ahead and they held on to their lead until 10 minutes from time when Richard Morales equalized.

Barcelona took a step towards retaining their title with a 1-0 victory over Villarreal on Friday, Samuel Eto'o notching his 24th goal of the season.

Dmac
04-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Valencia do deserve is more than Real Madrid, the way Real are playing they dont deserve to have the automatic Champions League spot, me being a Liverpool fan, I say that Valencia are a very good team and it being Benitez's old team has nothing to do with the fact, sure he won the Primera League and the UEFA Cup with them but still now there are a great team with great players and I for one am happy to see them get back there Champions League spot, if that is how the league finishes.

Straight Edge
04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Poor Real Madird. All they've been able to do lately for the past 4 or 5 games, is draw. And that'll cost them 2nd place in La Liga, and they'll have to go through the qualifying stages for next years Champion's League.