PDA

View Full Version : Ole Anderson Talks about The Four Horseman,How Vince Hates Him,More

OMEN
04-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Wrestling legend and former Horseman Ole Anderson joined Wrestling Weekly and co-hosts Doc Young and Les Thatcher on April 13 in discussion about the current state of the wrestling business, working in the territories, what it was like being part of the very first stable of the Four Horsemen, and where he sees his impact in pro wrestling history.

When Doc asked Ole about writing his book with Scott Teal, Inside Out, over a year’s time in 2003, Ole said the book can now be purchased on the Internet through Crowbar Press. He said if fans want to find out the real story about wrestling, they should read it. Ole joked about being hated in the business by saying “I’ve always had a particular way about me.” When asked how he’s been, he replied, “I’m alive which doesn’t make everyone happy.”

Doc also asked Ole about the now famous “Anderson Family” which included “brothers” Gene, Lars, Arn, and Ole and how he went from “Rock Rogowski” to Ole Anderson. He said he wanted a new name that was different than his legal name and after he was persuaded to come to the Carolinas to work, he and Lars kicked around a few names including “Ole.” Initially, when he heard the name he said, “Well, that’s a bunch of crap” but after he was unexpectedly introduced as Ole before a match, he said he didn’t care.

Ole talked about the early days in his career when there were a “whole bunch of guys floating around Minneapolis at that time.” He said it was a virtual who’s who and the guys always drew crowds—Dale Lewis, Danny Hodge, Verne Gagne, Bob Orton Sr., The Crusher, and more. He also talked about training with Verne Gagne and Danny Hodge, recalling getting his “clock cleaned” by Danny Hodge. He joked that he could never get back at him even if he used a gun that Danny was too tough to beat.

Ole told some of the stories about getting cut by “fans” during his career as a heel wrestler including on his leg, wrist, arm, and most seriously, in his chest. He said he was cut seven times in total. Ole said, “The one time in Greenville I thought I was going to die” but added, “It’s just all part of the doggone deal.” He said the uniformed guys at that show who he thought were policemen could not get an ambulance to the venue after he was stabled in the chest. Ole added however, “I tried to punch everybody who stabbed me.” The irony is he was sued by every person he punched. Ole said, “For what? Because I dulled their knife?!” He said in addition to being stabbed he’s been hit with objects such as a motorcycle helmet, seat belts, and more.

Ole spoke about the Four Horsemen gimmick where he became one of the first stable members along with Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, Arn Anderson, and manager, J.J. Dillon. The idea, according to Ole, was the brainchild of Dusty Rhodes and was sold to the guys as a way of making lots of money. Ole said even though he was retired from wrestling at that point, he liked making money so the idea came to life on television. He said he was dismayed when his first check came and “it was less than $40.” Ole said, “Someone was making money but it wasn’t me and it wasn’t Arn.”

Ole is still peeved about his tenure at NWA turned World Championship Wrestling (WCW). He said Tuner made a lot of mistakes and it was evident now that WCW in no longer in business. He said he was told back then that the tapes of matches Ole participated in were not kept but ultimately, he found this to not be true when Vince McMahon bought the entire WCW catalog and now owns the rights to “World Championship Wrestling,” a name that Ole gave the company.

Speaking of Vince McMahon, when asked if he thinks he’d ever be in inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, Ole said he didn’t think so because “Vince McMahon hates my guts.” He said in 1984 Vince approached Ole and told him they could make a lot of money together and according to Ole, “I told him to screw himself.” Vince asked again and on the third time brought his wife to ask. Ole told her the same thing but also peppered it with the “F-word.” He said, “Hell, I was already retired, so what’s the difference?”

During a word association portion of the program, Doc asked Ole what he thought of various promoters he’s worked for over the years including Verne Gagne (“Loved by many” and hated too), Jim Crockett (“OK guy” but had people in his pocket), Eddie Graham (“a genius”), Jim Barnett (“Difficult guy” and “He was full of crap. How’s that?”). He said Barnett used to conspire against guys by turning them against each other in order to have more control.

Wrestling Weekly featuring Doc Young and Les Thatcher can be heard every Thursday from 8:00-10:00 pm EST at http://www.wrestlingweekly.com.

W-OLF
04-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Good read " For what dulling thier knives" Classic Ole lol.

Finch420
04-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Meh, Vince hates a lot of people, and he still employs them or brings them in for short tenures. I don't think any of the Horsemen will go in until Naitch retires, then the original five, including JJ Dillion, will go in together.