PDA

View Full Version : Nationals GM Bowden Is Charged With DUI

W-OLF
04-18-2006, 09:16 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Nationals general manager Jim Bowden was arrested and charged with driving under the influence while in Florida during his team's series against the Marlins last weekend.

The Nationals released a statement from Bowden on Tuesday in which he acknowledged what happened. He said he was arrested Sunday evening in Miami Beach.

"I intend to plead not guilty at a future date in a Miami-Dade court. I deeply regret any embarrassment that my arrest may cause the Washington Nationals and Major League Baseball," Bowden said in the statement.

"On the advice of legal counsel, I will have no further comment regarding this incident until the court proceedings are complete."

Bowden's arrest comes as Major League Baseball closes in on announcing a new owner for the former Montreal Expos.

The club was off to the franchise's worst start since 1970 before winning the last two games at Florida to get to 4-9 entering Tuesday night's game at Philadelphia.

"I have talked to Jim Bowden about the regrettable incident that took place Sunday night," Nationals president Tony Tavares said. "The Washington Nationals will monitor the situation as it works its way through the court system and will not make any comment or take any action until the legal issues are resolved."

Bowden was hired by the team in November 2004 as an interim GM, and Washington went 81-81 in his first season with the club, a 14-win improvement from the 2004 season.

His contract was set to expire after last season, but was extended for six months. Then, during spring training, his deal was extended through the end of this season.

Bowden was the youngest general manager in major league history when he took the position with the Cincinnati Reds at age 31 in 1992. He was with the Reds until 2003, then worked for ESPN before being hired by Washington.
credit BellSouth