PDA

View Full Version : The peeps around.......

Abhishek_Divekar
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
So of course, when watching a professional wrestling match, I would hope you are focused and tuned in on what the wrestlers themselves are doing. You may of course also listen in on the commentary as the wrestlers do their magic (or lack thereof) in the ring. But what about that entity that we sometimes forget about?

The peeps around........:no:

How does the crowd effect your ability to watch a match? If say Chris Benoit and Booker T are in the ring having what seems at first glance to be a nice little match, but the crowd is hardly reacting to anything. Would that hinder what you think of the match? Would you then go as far as to say the match itself wasn't very good because of the influence the crowd had on you (as in they were silent throughout the duration of the match)?

Or like with Hogan vs. The Rock at WrestleMania 18. The match itself I didn't think was anything special at all to be honest. However, with the crowd being so loud and indulging in Hulkamania's return to WrestleMania, you couldn't help but think that match was more than a match, but a spectacle of epic proportions. It enhanced the match. So did it enhance your overall thought on the match?

Basically, what I'm rambling on to say, does the reaction of the crowd hinder your thoughts on the said match be it silence or wild cheering? Or do you just watch the match almost as if having the television on mute and just focusing on the wrestlers?

Honestly, I think it be unfair to make the crowd a non-factor. I remember after WrestleMania 22, people were saying if you put the HHH vs. John Cena match on mute, it's nothing special at all. But why would you do that? The crowd makes it fun to watch. Wrestling is all about the fans and the fans were havily into that particular match.

Or even with Brock vs. Goldberg at WrestleMania 20, often called the worst match in WrestleMania history. Although, I find that to be almost true, the match is easily watchable for the simple fact that the crowd was awesome to listen to. They were tearing the wrestlers to shreds. It made the match highly entertaining to watch in my view.

And that's why it sucks when WWE goes to a town that just doesn't have a hot crowd because a hot crowd always seems to enhance the quality of the show.

abyss1
04-09-2007, 02:35 AM
The crowd and the atmosphere can certainly make me think a match is better than it is. I have a great example too....

John Cena v Triple H - Wrestlemania 22

This match was great, but it was made so much better by the fact that the crowd were so into it. They were cheering every single Triple H move or right hand and booing the Cena ones. This made for a great atmosphere especially seeing as Triple H was the classic heel and Cena was the underdog face. The crowd made this an unbelievable match, a classic in my opinion. I guess that is one thing Cena brings to the dance.

If the crowd is flat the match usually isn't as good to watch

legolas4792
04-09-2007, 02:44 AM
The match is much more entertaining when the fans are into it but some matches are good on there own

Platinum_Lies
04-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Perfect example: MVP v Benoit at WM. Great technical match, but the crowd was dead.

Most great and legendary matches are so because of a great technical match with an awesome crowd. That is why matches like Hogan v warrior at WMVI are so memorable. Great match in itself, but that crowd was ballistic in its fervor.