PDA

View Full Version : The End: Does It Hurt The Match?

Abhishek_Divekar
04-04-2007, 07:52 AM
This thread has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with your personal opinion on a wrestler. For example if you like Benoit and he loses clean in a very good match, it shouldn't take away from how good the match was.

This thread is about the actual ending itself. Last night at WM there were a few matches that just seemed to suddenly end with very little heat or build up with the main one probably being Benoit/MVP. Not given the time they had, I thought Benoit and MVP had a very good match but the out of no where ending just left a bad taste in my mouth. Does this happen with anyone else?

Can two workers have a ***** match only to be bumped down to ****1/2 because the ending consisted of a ref bump, a chair shot, and then the pinfall? I personally think they can because if two guys have a ***** match and end with an ending like that, it's not a ***** match to me because the ending is so blah. There are plenty of other instances like guys have a great match only to be knocked down thanks to a time limit draw, a surprise roll up, interference, over booking, ect...

So yeah, does and ending hurt the match for anyone else or do you call a great match a great match despite the fact that the ending seemed out of place?
:no:

XXKSXX
04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
It really bothers me when a really good match or a long match ends with a surprise roll up. Nothing I hate more and it's used a lot in matches.

Platinum_Lies
04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Matches today tend to end with interference, a quick pin, cheating, or superman like end (ie Lashley or Cena). When a match is clean it is often surprising.

legolas4792
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
it is rare today that a match has a good ending such as trish stratus's last match

abyss1
04-09-2007, 02:29 AM
The ending is a huge part of the match, and usually the part that everyone remembers the most. Part of what makes a good match is a great ending, with good psychology. So it is definately important, and can make a match a lot worse if the ending isn't right. There can still be great matches with an ending which is bad (Mankind v Shawn Michaels at Mind Games 96 is the one that comes to mind, it ended with interference and a double DQ) However, most classic matches need a great ending which has been built up or is original.

I know exactly what you mean about Benoit/MVP. The ending just didn't seem right. It just happened so suddenly. It left a bad taste in my mouth too