PDA

View Full Version : Real confirm Gerrard as a target

Straight Edge
04-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Real Madrid's footballing director Benito Floro has confirmed that Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is on their list of transfer targets.

Gerrard, 25, signed a new four-year contract last summer to end speculation linking him with a move to Chelsea.

Real have targeted England midfielder Gerrard and Inter Milan striker Adriano as "priority" signings.

Floro told Spanish radio station Cadena Star: "Gerrard is a player on the list that we wanted to sign previously."

Real are keen to add fresh blood to an ageing squad after enduring a third successive season without a trophy.

Floro added: "I've recommended as priority signings a powerful central striker like Adriano and a top midfielder in case Zinedine Zidane leaves."

France World Cup winner Zidane has a one-year option after this season and will make a decision on a return to the Bernabeu after this summer's World Cup.

Gerrard looked set to join Chelsea last summer but changed his mind at the last moment to sign his new deal at Liverpool.

There has been no suggestion Gerrard is keen to leave Anfield, although a move to Real would enable him to link up with England captain David Beckham and defender Jonathan Woodgate.

Liverpool boss Benitez, previously the coach at Valencia, had been mentioned by Real as a possible contender to take over from current boss Juan Roman Lopez Caro.

Meanwhile, striker Florent Sinama Pongolle is ready to leave Liverpool if boss Benitez adds to his strikeforce this summer.

Pongolle is due to return to Anfield at the end of the season after a loan spell at Blackburn.

The 21-year-old's place in the pecking order has dropped even further following the return of Robbie Fowler on a short-term contract.

He said: "If Benitez signs two new strikers I won't be back, it would be impossible."

Sinama-Pongolle jumped at the chance to join Blackburn on loan because of his growing frustration at his lack of opportunities at Anfield.

He would be just as eager to turn his loan move at Ewood Park into a permanent one.

Sinama-Pongolle added: "I know Blackburn have spoken to my agent about staying, which is good for me.

"But nothing has been decided. I'm still thinking about my future because I know I face an important decision at the end of the season.

"Blackburn have at least given me a chance to play games and the manager speaks to me more.

"I'm 21 and I need to play, I want to play. It's difficult and frustrating when you are sat on the bench."