PDA

View Full Version : The Queen celebrates her 80th birthday

OMEN
04-21-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.itn.co.uk/news/story192648.jpg
The Queen is celebrating her 80th birthday today with a traditional walkabout through Windsor where she is expected to be greeted by huge crowds.

She will enjoy a traditional a black-tie dinner in the evening with the rest of the Royal Family at Kew Palace. Hosted by The Prince of Wales, 26 members of her extended family will gather to wish the Queen a Happy birthday.

The Prince will also broadcast a birthday tribute on radio and television.

Yesterday, when asked what she wants for her birthday, she replied "a nice sunshiny day".

Buckingham Palace said she had received 20,000 cards and 17,000 email messages so far.

In a personal message, the Queen said: "I would like to thank the many thousands of people from this country and overseas who have sent me cards and messages on my 80th birthday.

"I have been very touched by what you have written and would like to express my gratitude to you all for making this day such a special one for me."

The Queen was born 80 years ago today but she also celebrates an official birthday in June which is marked with the , Trooping the Colour parade.

The Queen, with the Duke of Edinburgh at her side, has spent more than two-thirds of her life on the throne and became the fourth longest-reigning monarch in 1,000 years of English history during her Golden Jubilee year.

She is Head of State, head of the Armed Forces, the Commonwealth and the Church of England, but also a wife with nearly 60 years of marriage under her belt, a mother of four and "Granny" to seven grandchildren.

Earlier this week, she held a special lunch at Buckingham Palace where she was joined by 99 other pensioners who were born on the same day as her.

ITN

bad_meetz_evil
04-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Happy 80th Birthday, and hopefully 80 more to go.

King Venomation - X
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't see what the big fuss is about, just another birthday in my opinion. I just hope she lasts long enough for Charles to not get the throne. I really don;t like him and would prefer Willlam to get it.