PDA

View Full Version : The Gift and Now the Curse: Austin vs. McMahon

Abhishek_Divekar
04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
In terms of significance for modern wrestling, or (ahem) sports entertainment industry, Austin vs. McMahon is ranked either 1A or 1B against the original nWo. Austin vs. McMahon was successful on so many levels because nearly every regular guy or girl could relate, the hated boss trying to make his employee's life a living hell. It was a storyline that had an impact on the entire WWF roster, and it had enough twists and turns to confuse even the most experienced Los Angeles driver.

Unfortunately now, ever since then, WWE keeps trying to re-create the magic of said storyline, even sometimes with different people playing the roles. We've had McMahon vs. Hogan, Bischoff vs. Cena, McMahon vs. HBK, Coach vs. well pretty much everyone, McMahon vs. DX and now McMahon vs. Lashley.

The Lashley fued is a paint by the numbers Evil McMahon/Babyface feud, "Make your life a living hell blah blah", seemingly overwhelming odds, brutal beatdowns etc. I realize Vince wants to push Lashley to the moon alongside Cena, but at this point it's too overused. I'm tired of seeing the evil boss. It's like WWE creative is using the "Angles" menu from EWR.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade any of the entertainment I enjoyed from Austin vs. McMahon, but it is just a shame that creative keeps trying to go back to that well, when the well has been dry now for years.

Thoughts?

legolas4792
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM
idk man i never liked fueds because is could relate to them, i liked the corporation vs the ministry but i dont see a bunch of people wearing black upducting people

Platinum_Lies
04-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I never cared for Austin v McMahon that much anyway. But the chemistry between the two made it entertaining at least.

The problem now is the McMahon places too much importance on himself. No one really cares about him now and it has pretty much been this way since the end of the Austin fued. All we have gotten from him now is the Kiss My Ass club and Hair v Hair... such stimulating television.