PDA

View Full Version : Blues warned over Wright-Phillips

Dmac
04-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Blues warned over Wright-Phillips

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/3339/41585906shaunw2706ol.jpg

Ian Wright believes stepson Shaun Wright-Phillips should leave Chelsea next season if he does not get regular first-team football.

Wright-Phillips, 24, has started just nine Premiership games since his £21m move from Manchester City last summer.

Former Arsenal striker Wright told BBC Sport: "I know how much Shaun wants to play for Chelsea.

"But if Shaun has another season like this I will be telling him it's time to move on."

Wright said he shared Wright-Phillips' disappointment at constantly being left on the bench.

He added: "It's frustrating because I want him to play and show the fans what he's got.

"It's been really hard for him but it's been something he's had to get used to.

"Obviously he's disappointed. He knew he was going to have to bide his time, but I don't think he realised how much.

"The thing is, he loves Chelsea. People say to me all the time 'why did you let him join them?' but at the end of the day he was joining the champions, just like me when I went to Arsenal.

"He could do the double in his first season but he hasn't had a major role to play. Hopefully that will happen next season, but if it doesn't we'll have to start thinking 'what are we going to do now'? No-one could blame Shaun for that."

Wright, speaking at the launch of the Sure Fanzone World Cup venue in London, insisted he was not too worried about his stepson's World Cup chances being affected by a lack of first-team football.

"What's good about Shaun is that it has not affected his confidence," Wright said.

"Whenever he's played for England he's done really well, taking people on and putting in crosses. He showed that against Uruguay and hopefully Sven-Goran Eriksson feels the same.

"People watching him in internationals are saying 'why isn't he getting a game for Chelsea?' - only Jose Mourinho can answer that.

"At least Mourinho is consistent - he does it to all the players. He leaves out Duff, he pulls off Joe Cole, so I don't think he's picking on Shaun.

"Of course he feels particularly hard done by after coming in for £21m and only playing his first 90 minutes two months ago - you'd have to feel a little bit aggrieved by that.

"On the plus side he would be one of the freshest players in the England squad and raring to go. It could work in our favour.

"If he has a great World Cup he should get in Chelsea's first team.

"If he doesn't, I'll be saying 'Shaun, you've got to start thinking about this'. He needs to be playing regular football - that's all he wants. Playing football and achieving success."

OMEN
04-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Ian Wright should STFU,It's the same for the whole squad only a few selected players make the team on a regular basis....Shawn new what it was like when he joined the team....

Dmac
04-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Yeh but he is one of the players of the team with a very bright future and if he played regular he would rival Lampard and Gerrard in skill, yes he is that good when he gets the chance, I do understand what Ian Wright is saying, staying there without getting games will ruin his career and he does need to get out of there unless, maybe they get a new manager that will play him.

Dark Drakan
04-24-2006, 04:41 PM
I agree with Ian Wright, Shaun Wright-Phillips is a great player and i know Chelsea have a great team and anyone would be hard pushed to get a place but they are wasting him on the bench and he isnt getting enough 1st team football to be sharp enough for the world cup etc