PDA

View Full Version : Benitez shrugs off Mourinho snub

Dmac
04-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Benitez shrugs off Mourinho snub

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5725/41590178benitezmourinho203x270.jpg

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says Chelsea counterpart Jose Mourinho did not want to shake hands with him after their FA Cup semi-final.

The Reds beat Chelsea 2-1 in their 10th meeting in two seasons.

"I was with our supporters at the end and I could see him but he didn't want to," said Benitez.

"At least we showed the people we can beat them. They have a lot of good players but we do too. We have a great team spirit."

He added: "We are in the final. My players have done a fantastic job."

The Reds contained Chelsea's threat for the first hour of the game as John Arne Riise and Luis Garcia put Liverpool ahead.

But substitute Arjen Robben was shortly followed on to the pitch by Joe Cole and Damien Duff for the Blues, who desperately tried to equalise after Didier Drogba had pulled a goal back for them.

"Chelsea are one of the most expensive teams in the world and they have a lot of good players," said Benitez.

"They played well and we were trying to control them but it is really difficult to control Duff, Cole, Lampard and Drogba and all the players that they have."

The Reds boss is now looking forward to savouring the victory over Chelsea and then trying to win his first FA Cup final at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on 13 May.

"I am really happy and delighted for the players, the club and the supporters. It was an amazing game for us," he stated.

"The big clubs are always thinking about winning the big trophies and we are in the most famous Cup in the world. It is really important for us to win."

Slash
04-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Rafa Benitez - Cool as a Cucumber!