PDA

View Full Version : Aussie aquanaut keen to go down under again

bad_meetz_evil
04-18-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200704/r138331_472209.jpg

A marine biologist who become Australia's first aquanaut says the experiment went quickly and he is keen to do it again.

Lloyd Godson spent 12 days living underwater in wetlands at Albury, on the New South Wales and Victoria border.

"I'd love to do it again, I've already got some notes jotted down on bits of paper down there, things I'd like to try and improvements I'd like to make," he said.

"It's a fascinating concept living underwater and trying to do that in a sustainable manner.

"It's just been a really, really fun project."

Mr Godson says he rode a bike to generate electricity, grew some of his own food and used algae to produce oxygen.

He says there was some concern with his blood pressure towards the end of his experiment.

"I wouldn't say I was unwell, just my blood pressure was indicating that it was rising and I didn't want to have it rising overnight when I was sleeping," he said.

"I mean I have 24-hour support up here monitoring me but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take at that stage of the project, I'd achieved what I wanted to achieve."

Mr Godson says he spent a lot of time responding to emails from people around the world and plans to work on a similar experiment with a NASA scientist.

"A lot of the data that I've collected here about what I've achieved will be used in a habitat program he's got planned for 2009, which he's invited me over to for three to five days," he said.

"That's going to be using a similar plant-based life support.

"Basically it's paved the way for future experiments in this field so [I] couldn't be happier with that."

credit: abc.net