PDA

View Full Version : The "Cena can't wrestle" has to stop now

Abhishek_Divekar
04-19-2007, 05:24 PM
After watching last nights WWE title match between John Cena and Shawn Michaels it re-established 2 thoughts in my mind, the first is that Shawn Michaels is without question the best all round peformer of all time and the second is that John Cena CAN wrestle.

I remember when John Cena was on SmackDown working as an up and coming heel and carrying matches as a heel mainly does in a match against the likes of Undertaker, Brock Lesnar and Eddie Guerrero and i thought to myself this young kid could very well be the next major star in WWE as he is good in the ring and on the mic the best thing since The Rock but then the inevitable happened, the great young heel become so over he had to be turned.

So Vince McMahon turned John Cena face going into Survivor Series 2003 and from there he feuded with established heels in Booker T and Big Show and his learning more or less stopped because he wasn't carrying matches like he was as a heel, then Cena become so over that he couldn't be kept away from the WWE title anymore even if he could have maybe done with another year of learning.

After winning the WWE title and becoming the most over face in WWE (think of his debut on Raw on the Highlight Reel, the crowd went nuts for him) he went to Raw and feuded with Chris Jericho, now this is where it started to go wrong for Cena as Vince had begun watering him down and restricting him from being and doing what got him so over in the first place.

Vince had Cena working against wrestlers like Jericho and Kurt Angle who were very over as heels but also so good in the ring that Cena couldn't compete on that level yet and while he always tried his best the fans could see that this wasn't the same Cena they had seen a few months before and turned against him saying he couldn't wrestle and some people even wishing him dead which is way over the top.

But after last night the "Cena can't wrestle" thing has to stop as he proved without a shadow of a doubt what he can do given the chance and when you think about it its not the first time either he has had a great non gimmick singles match, Cena/Jericho at SummerSlam 2005, Cena/Edge on Raw with Mick Foley at ref last year, Cena/Edge on Raw just before Royal Rumble, see what i mean and now you can add Cena/HBK to that.

Whether you like John Cena's character or not is down to you, everyone is entitled to an opinion but for anyone to still say he can't wrestle your out of your minds, it's Vince McMahon who doesn't let him show it every week because thats how Vince McMahon wants his character to be, a modern day Hulk Hogan, after last night John Cena just reconfirmed what i always believed but didn't get the chance to regularly see and that is that he can wrestle and very well at that and will be on top in WWE for years to come like it or not, post your thoughts and opinions

legolas4792
04-20-2007, 12:32 AM
its not that he cant wrestle people just dont want to see him "overcome the odds" every damn show with 5 moves at the end

Platinum_Lies
04-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Even before this though he was more of a brawler than a wrestler. There is no way that he will consistently beat Angle, Jericho, HHH, HBK, or Edge. They are so far above him in talent that it is no longer feasible that he can overcome them every match.

"He can't wrestle" started because he is constantly sold as a champion caliber wrestler when he clearly isn't. And of course the bullsh*t that is the STFU doesn't help. It is a crap move that came out of nowhere (just so he could pull a victory in a submission match). Even Hogan was pushed as a bralwer and not a technician.

XXKSXX
04-20-2007, 11:23 PM
I happen to like Cena's style and I also do believe he's pretty good. Only one thing I would like to see that belt on other people besides him.

joppi32
04-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Lol, I think people will come to get to like Cena if he isn't champion for a while.. like 2 years? Yeah the overcoming the odds thing is shit...

Abhishek_Divekar
04-21-2007, 05:03 PM
its not that he cant wrestle people just dont want to see him "overcome the odds" every damn show with 5 moves at the end

I am saying that he can't wrestle upto the mark at which he is shown now...........

The Major
04-21-2007, 11:26 PM
hah. he had to put on the best damn performance of his life at mania. or whatever match you where talking about.

the Cena can't wrestle is true. he goes out there week after week, gets his ass out wrestled by great performers like edge triple h and hbk. and he wins. by pumping up his trainers.. wait he doesnt even do that anymore. its something like. yadda yadda shoulder block. five knuckle shuffle. fu. stfu.

woooooooooooow great arsonal! the Fks and shoulder block arnt even wrestling moves in my opinion. and who cant do the fu? and the stfu. is as easy as pie to do. . Cena cant wrestle. he is just a walking talking sales board.

and that is why he stays as the champ. is because stupid little kids. and girls buy his products. and if he didnt make that much money. he wouldnt have that title. no way

Platinum_Lies
04-22-2007, 05:22 AM
hah. he had to put on the best damn performance of his life at mania. or whatever match you where talking about.

the Cena can't wrestle is true. he goes out there week after week, gets his ass out wrestled by great performers like edge triple h and hbk. and he wins. by pumping up his trainers.. wait he doesnt even do that anymore. its something like. yadda yadda shoulder block. five knuckle shuffle. fu. stfu.

woooooooooooow great arsonal! the Fks and shoulder block arnt even wrestling moves in my opinion. and who cant do the fu? and the stfu. is as easy as pie to do. . Cena cant wrestle. he is just a walking talking sales board.

and that is why he stays as the champ. is because stupid little kids. and girls buy his products. and if he didnt make that much money. he wouldnt have that title. no way

You notice that when the WWE is at male dominated venues such as Philadelphia or Europe, Cena is booed out of the building?

What really sucks though is that since women and children have higher pitched voices, their screaming cheers usually drown out lower pitched male voices that are booing. I also love the BS the King and JR spout trying to explain the boos like last week. They say some of the dumbest crap I have ever heard to cover Vince's project. JR has been very negative to fans the last few years though... I remember when Mickie James was being cheered at one of the last WM's he said something like "the fans must have escaped from a psych ward". Very insulting. Then he berates fans for chanting "You can't wrestle" at Cena and tries to pull some "unorthodox" style BS.

JoshTheKiller
04-22-2007, 05:45 AM
:cena: you Can't see him
Cena's fighting style and Gimmick (not the USMC the ghetto one) is very good

DEMON
04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
:cena: you Can't see him
Cena's fighting style and Gimmick (not the USMC the ghetto one) is very good

I wish I couldn't see him!!
As far as I'm concerned he CAN'T wrestle,and his gimmick of a "wanna-be Marine"(this guy is basically a "wanna-be" everything if you really think about...wanna-be "ghetto" as you put it,but we know what you really meant:lmao: /wanna-be Marine/wanna-be wrestler!) is just pathetic,as well as insulting to true Marines.
I mean c'mon the guy kisses his "dogtags" before his match and they're not even REAL dogtags(merchandise promo!)!
Whats the point of that(oh yeah so that the little kiddies can sit there and whine&cry for a set of them)?

You know I think if I didn't HAVE to see him week in and week out on RAW it probably wouldn't bother me quite so much,BUT,just like a couple others have already stated in here,he comes out every week,gets his ass handed to him on a regular basis,and than comes back with a 5 move repatoire to finish the match,that only Hulk Hogan would be proud of.
All I can say is thank God I have a "DVR",that way I don't really have to see him all that long,and I can get to the better parts of the show a lot quicker.:joker:

ClayMation
04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
What Cena needs is to lose the damn belt and go through a gimmick makeover. Something original for once. Maybe then you will hear more cheers for him.

Until then, Cena sucks in my mind.

Platinum_Lies
04-24-2007, 03:06 AM
I love watching some of the "flashbacks" that the WWE does for his matches. The WM that showed earlier in RAW tonight was a laugh. They tried to make it look as if Cena was loved at the event. All they seemed to show was Cena and his little kid fans. They even tried to make the boos sound different.

The WWE has become pathetic in its attempt to lie to the fans now. I wouldn't be surprised that one day JR comes out and says "those aren't boos, they are actually cheering him, they LOVE Cena..." Then comes the laugh track and the signs that flash "Applause"

Wrestling has fallen so far.

tommy
04-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Then stop watching it. Cena was cheered so much today, and he was against HBK. I remember being shocked that when Cena turned the tides one time, people were actually cheering. No need to lie there.

Also, Cena proved tonight that he CAN wrestle.

Platinum_Lies
04-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Then stop watching it. Cena was cheered so much today, and he was against HBK. I remember being shocked that when Cena turned the tides one time, people were actually cheering. No need to lie there.

Also, Cena proved tonight that he CAN wrestle.

Listen closely. There were more boos for Cena then cheers. And the cheers were again, women and children dominated. The STFU and FU's at the end of the match were not met with a pleasant reaction. He needs to go heel... the teases in the end were some of Cena's best moments.

As for his wresltling, better and pretty much good. But he has Orton's tendencies to fall onto one "rest" move too often. There were way too many headlocks in the match. He showed some actual fundamentals in the ring and did much better than WM, but he is still a brawler. I am just so damn happy that superman was finally hit by some bloody kryptonite. About time. Hopefully this carries into Sunday, he loses the belt, and the heel turn follows.

Much like the Rock and HHH, Cena is a much better heel. His attitude fits better with a heel persona. Cena as a face champion really doesn't work.

tommy
04-24-2007, 06:56 AM
If he does lose the belt this sunday, he's not gonna keep it off him. We know he will have it again at Vengance, which gives two pay per views after Backlash for Cena to either gain or lose the belt again.

IF the HBK to smackdown rumors are true, what they may do is have either Edge or Orton (probably Edge in light of recent news) win at Backlash, then HBK win at Judgement Day, and Cena win it in a loser leaves the brand title match at One Night Stand. Maybe even HBK winning it this week, retaining at Judgement Day, then the loser leaves the brand at ONS. That is IF he is leaving though like the rumor is saying. I haven't heard much about it though.

the madscotsman
04-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Ok so maybe Cena CAN wrestle, but he's fuckin' shite at it.

Platinum_Lies
04-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Ok so maybe Cena CAN wrestle, but he's fuckin' shite at it.

If he would have come up through the ranks as a wrestler and continued to build he may have been a good wrestler. But once his push started all he did was brawl. Too many years have passed for the stigma to dissapear in one night and one match. If so many people are willing to jump on the Cena bandwagon, they need to jump on the Batista one as well for his show stealer at WM. If one match made a great wrestler, nearly everyone would be considered great.

If he does this consistently for a year or more, then I will change my mind. But for now, he hasn't proved that he can wrestle. It is only one match and in my mind an average match at that.